• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bruce Sandmann

Feb 24, 2015
Hi All
I am a fellow diver based in Cape Town , South Africa.
Been diving for about 5 years and involved with diving comps and clubs this side for more than 3 years now.

Started building my first roller conversion last year and looking to build my first wooden gun this year.

Welcome!

I dream of spearing on your continent! :D

What conditions do you usually spear in - reef, blue water, etc and what are your target species?

How long are the guns that you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are lucky as we have two oceans coming together on the tip of Africa here.
The water on the Atlantic side can be anuwhere between 8 degrees Celsius and 18 deg, and the Indian ocean on the other side generally is between 16 -23deg, depending on how far up the coast you go.
Inshore we have a great selection of reef fish, with the yellow tail close to shore.
The yellow tail ranges between 4-15kg, also depending on which coast it is shot.
Off shore we get marlin, yellow fin tuna and Dorado, but the yellow fin is the most popular off shore fish.
inshore I use either a 1m, single wrap 16mm, or my 1.2m double wrap for the long shots
Off shore I am lucky that the diver that often dives with is is the legend Tommy Botha, and he builds wooden guns and brings his 1.4m, 5x 16mm with break away rigs and floats with.

Water is usually a green color on the Atlantic side and crystal blue on the Indian ocean side, very weather dependent.
No tropical diving close to Cape Town where I stay, but it is only a few hours drive to get there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT