• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from Henderson, Nevada, USA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Thomas W Copeland

Mar 6, 2015
I'm a newbie to spearfishing. For the last two weeks I have been fishing in Lake Mead and the Colorado River (57 degrees F) with a Cressi Comanche 90 using a 5mm wetsuit. Anyone in the area or who is visiting Las Vegas and wants to join me is welcome.

Welcome to Deeperblue. What species do you hunt in Lake Mead and the Colorado? Anything worth eating?

It's legal to spearfish striped bass and carp in Lake Mead and the Colorado River in Nevada but I have only speared carp so far. I'd like to get some stripers but haven't yet. There's some videos on youtube of a guy getting some big stripers in the Colorado River.

Welcome Tom. Didn't realise that there is freshwater variety of striped bass. Live & learn :) Is it as big as the saltwater striped bass?
Of I see they spawn in freshwater: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_bass (<- very interesting link) like salmon.

Yes, the freshwater striped bass is the same species as the salt water striped bass. They have been introduced to several lakes and have done very well. I did some research and the record striped bass in Nevada was taken from Lake Mohave (just downstream of Lake Mead where I fish) and was 60.88 lbs. The record freshwater striper was 70 lbs from Black Warrior River in Alabama. The world record striped bass was caught at sea and was 81.88 lbs, so apparently there are big ones in fresh and salt water. And I will be hunting some of them tomorrow!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT