• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from Ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Asipu

May 19, 2015
Hey dear people,

Born and bred from the Croatian seas. Sailed, snorkeled, and grew up with that sense of affection most of us have toward the deep blue. Came into this beautiful country half a year ago, and based on what I've seen so far, it seems that I am home.

Although I've been connected with the sea my whole life, I never dived deeper than 15m, and never tried to exercise holding my breath (a few attempts never passed the 2min mark).
Recently started practicing the breathing techniques, and was utterly amazed how effective they are. My personal record is now 3:30. Yeah I know, it's not much, but I'm competing only with myself, and my mental barrier was just shattered. This really rekindled my passion for the sea, giving me the completely different perspective on freediving, and spearfishing.

Currently my research is almost complete, and I'll send the precise mail to Elios for buying my first wetsuit.

Looking forward to continue learning from this big community. :)

Well let me be the first to welcome you...and look, don't believe those Irish divers who will tell you that Guinness improves your breath hold...it just ain't so! :)

Reactions: Asipu
3:30 is very respectable. Do you plan to take a freediving class? It would give you a huge boost in your technique, as well as some valuable safety strategies.

Welcome to Deeperblue.

3:30 is very respectable. Do you plan to take a freediving class? It would give you a huge boost in your technique, as well as some valuable safety strategies.

Welcome to Deeperblue.

I can calm myself easily, and like sports so I feel that it helped with breath holding.
My first impulse was to take a freediving class. As you've said: to boost the technique, learn to be safe, and of course meet cool people.
My focus shifted towards snorkeling / spearfishing; somehow the competitive aspect of pure freediving isn't my thing at the moment.
For now I see myself continue practicing the safe techniques until I plateau, while being respectable toward my body and the sea, and about people? Nice to meet you BatRay. :)

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
Brother, I would urge you to consider taking a proper free diving course as a way to enhance and hone skills and teach very, very important safety techniques and awareness. I feel a lot more "relaxed" with a solid skill-set to keep me and my buddy(ies) safe. Besides, with the static hold time you hit now, you might enjoy a little competition down the road. :)

Reactions: BatRay
It felt that based on my previous experience and what I've been aiming for, the courses were not a necessity. A bit arrogant stance I agree, something you really don't want when diving is involved..
I'll make a parallel with my experience with freeclimbing. There was no need to go through a course in order to climb the big wall. After showing up in the practice hall, making friends, training hard, listening and observing, I was ready.
But I hear ya guys, and really appreciate your justified concerns.

It felt that based on my previous experience and what I've been aiming for, the courses were not a necessity. A bit arrogant stance I agree, something you really don't want when diving is involved..
I'll make a parallel with my experience with freeclimbing. There was no need to go through a course in order to climb the big wall. After showing up in the practice hall, making friends, training hard, listening and observing, I was ready.
But I hear ya guys, and really appreciate your justified concerns.
@Asipu - I come across this sort of argument all the time.

I can tell you that without a doubt every single person who thought like this and then attended a course appreciated why. There is a huge amount to learn about physiology, physics, safety, technique, etc... that you just can't learn from online, books or practice - every single person I know who took this approach has dangerous or just plain wrong things they were doing.

We also know that the vast majority of injuries and death in freediving and spearfishing has been down to people who have not attended a course and pushed themselves too far without the right supervision.

I don't say this to scare you or put you down - accidents can happen to even highly trained people - it's about reducing the risks so everyone can enjoy the sport responsibly.

Here are a few links to enjoy...
Be safe out there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT