• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from New Zealand

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Water Samurai

Oct 7, 2015
Hello people of the water.

I live on an island in the South Pacific. Last summer I got into hunting fish with a pole spear, rash shirt and some snorkel gear. Over the winter, I dreamed about it.

Now summer is back and tomorrow is my birthday. Yesterday I got a package deal from Ocean Hunter featuring a float, line, wet suit, weight belt, fins and a gun.

Tomorrow I am getting back in the sea.

:nailbiting:

:) I live on the same island as you. If you are in Auckland then check out the Auckland Freediving Club http://www.aucklandfreediving.co.nz/

There are quite a few spearos in the club (including me) and we have regular training sessions (pool and lake) as well as some trips out spearfishing / freediving.

And here is a bit about the Freediving NZ Pool Nationals we ran last weekend - which happened to be sponsored by Ocean Hunter so it is good to see you bought some gear from Mike and co.
https://www.deeperblue.com/new-zealand-pool-championships-see-saudi-national-records/

Reactions: Water Samurai
Nice one fellow Islander. I live in Coromandel and visit Auckland often.

Fully stoked with the gear I got from Ocean Hunter. Had a blast out there today, just need to work on my aim. :oops:

Thanks for the heads up on the AFC - I will check it out for sure.

Reactions: go-hard
Welcome to Deeperblue! How did you like the new gear?

Thanks.

The new gear is just awesome. I am amazed at how warm I am in my open cell wet suit. It has changed my whole attitude to being in the water. No more frantically searching for a fish before I start to freeze and have to get out. I feel like I could stay in all day and it's not even summer yet.

Today was my second dive with the new set up. I shot three Butterfish and a Porae. Good times! :D

That's great to hear! Good gear can make all the difference. Your diving season will likely be much longer now.

Any pics of the catch?

That's great to hear! Good gear can make all the difference. Your diving season will likely be much longer now.

Any pics of the catch?
image.jpg
Just took the Porae out of the smoker.

Reactions: Mr. X
Welcome Water Samurai - sounds like a very good birthday :) When you wrote "an island in the South Pacific" I was picturing something tropical - now you mention NZ I am picturing Lord of the Rings & Alpine mountains covered in snow. Nothing wrong with than - just a much different picture! Glad to hear you are starting summer, I'm sat here in the cold looking forward to what is predicted to be an exceptionally cold, snowy winter in old Blighty! :D

IMG_0725.JPG
Welcome Water Samurai

Hey thanks for the welcome Mr. X.

We have two main islands in NZ. The images presented to the world by The Lord of the Rings are mostly from the south island (which we call the 'South Island' :D). I live on a peninsula in the top half of the North Island, which is a bit closer to the tropical island vibe.

IMG_0725.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT