• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from Scotland!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Theoandrews

Aug 13, 2017
Why hello there!
I'm from Greece but I moved to Scotland in September. All was fine and I was okay with the idea of not going to the sea for the time being but... I just can't stay away. So, if anyone from West Coast has any tip on how to make the transition easier from sunny Greece to , ehm, Scotland that would be great. I have no idea on where to go, or what wetsuit to get. Also, I don't know anyone who is remotely interested in the sport so if there are any clubs/groups in the Glasgow area, google told me nothing. Thanks for having me and cheers. :)

Hello

I live in tighnabruaich and i am looking for a buddy. Fancy emailing me at: <email address removed - use forum's private Conversation facility instead>. Maybe we could meet up and go spearing?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Theoandrews,

Any luck till now? I am located in East coast and I am interested in starting spearfishing in Scotland as well. Please write me back with any insights if you have some time.

Regards,
Apolo

Hi Guys, I am from Glasgow and I am picking up my first spears gear tomorrow with a view to getting out weather permitting from April onwards. Never done any of this before so would be keen to meet up for safety . I am hoping to attend a spear fishing Scotland course at some point this year as well

Reactions: liferacer
Hi,

I dived Tighnabruaich, more past Kames actually, I didn't see much except a handful of scallops. I had a quick dip near the ferry terminal at Portavadie, more scallops and lots of muscles, I got a small flattie in the shallows. I got the feeling, nothing more, that there could be decent pollack around there if you could find deep water. I may be up there in the summer, so I'll be interested if you find any spots, could even hook up? PS do you know Willie McAllan?

Hi,
Sounds great, i plan to get a lot of diving done up that area as i thought it would be good for scallops.
I know the Furnace side of the loch holds decent pollock so think its just a case of finding the right area.
What sort of depth were you in at Portavadie?
Defo message me in the summer and hopefully meet up. I am a complete novice so a dive buddy is always welcome.
No i dont know Willie
Regards

It was a few years ago, so I'm not entirely sure, but up to 7m sounds familiar. I couldn't find any deep kelp beds, which is what I normally look for when hunting pollack. I normally find you see decent pollack from 7-8m and deeper, though you can find them more shallow. Do you know anyone with a boat with a depth sounder, that could be useful?

Yeah i think your right regarding the pollack being beyond the 7m mark. Unfortunatly dont know anyone with a boat

Also looking for a buddy on the west coast! Did you get sorted mate?

Hi Hamster, not managed to get out yet due to weather/ tides not playing ball but still looking to get out in the coming weeks

yes hopefully into some better weather now, what depths are you guys diving to? anyone shot a halibut?

Yeah hopefully it will warm up now. As it stands the now i have not dived any depth at all, i am a complete newbie with only snorkeling experience. Hoping to get on a course at some point this year

Ok mate well if you want someone to dive with just let me know, admittedly i have not been on a course but a set of eyes on your back never hurts. Have experience in being a safety diver.

There are loads of spots on the coast in 30-40' where commercial boats trawled bobbins nets (Small high opening trawls with huge rubber wheels along the sole line to bounce over the reefs) for prime fish, like Plaice, big Plaice, Turbot, Codlings and Lythe (Pollack).

These spots are still kept fairly secret by commercial guys who hit them perhaps a couple of times a year to allow for the area to fully recover and not be decimated by greed. If you know any smaller commercial boat skippers, a nice bottle of the good stuff may charm some numbers out them for ya.

I live in Southern California, 30 years now, originally from Ayr Scotland. I was a commercial fisherman all up and down the west coast, Highlands and Islands for 14 years before immigrating. I will possibly be back this summer and bringing my gear with me. I know you guys normally wear 7mm, Michelin Man stuff and too bulky for me. 60 degree water is fine for a few hours in 5mm, so thats what Ill be bringing.

Wishing you all good luck, loads of fun and fish, most importantly, stay safe and always pull that snorkel out your mouth when you make a drop, its dangerous to keep it in there!

Regards

Laurie Slaven
torskk@gmail.com

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT