• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from the UK!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ambientsquid

May 6, 2015
Hello! Very glad to meet you all as I currently know nobody with an interest in this sport. I'm completely new, came here to learn. After much reading, wondering, and watching the experts, I finally started practising in my local pool and experimented with a 50m no-fins breath-hold swim (small beginnings, bear with me). Looking forward to learning to freedive this summer. Peace.

Thank you for the welcome and the link!
I'm planning on going for the AIDA 2* in the North West in July, will be great to be able to contribute to the forums and join the community :)

Good deal! Do you plan to participate in freediving competitions?

Good deal! Do you plan to participate in freediving competitions?
I hadn't thought about that as I don't know if I'm any good, but I definitely want to get better! Being able to explore shallow seas and swim deeper (with buddies!) is the main reason I want to learn to freedive properly.

No pressure. I mention competitions since they could be another way to meet like-minded folks. It might be a viable and enjoyable option if it interests you.

Whatever you plan to do, it's great to have you onboard.

Welcome!

I take it that you're doing your 50m swims alone, without anyone watching you? If so, I certainly wouldn't try any further and possibly wouldn't even try the 50m alone, an unexpected incident whilst diving alone will likely only have one outcome.

There are quite a few clubs around the UK, so once you've completed your training then you're likely to be reasonably close to other like minded individuals. Where are you based?

Enjoy the water and stay safe!

Thanks manalive, no I'm well aware that practising alone is a no-go. I talked to the pool lifeguards about it to let them know what I was doing, and a friend was swimming nearby, but you're right, and I'm not going to try any further until I learn with a club.
I'm based in Cheshire, will be starting a course with learn2freedive as they take place in the Manchester area. Hoping to find clubs in the north west certainly.

Batray - sounds great, and thank you.

That's my dive club, you'll be in good hands with Steve. I too am in Cheshire, as are quite a few of the members, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to dive with.

I hope to see you in the water sometime soon.

Ah super - pleased to meet you. That sounds excellent, and great to know there's an active group here; I look forward to joining once I'm qualified.
All best!

Hello! Very glad to meet you all as I currently know nobody with an interest in this sport. I'm completely new, came here to learn. After much reading, wondering, and watching the experts, I finally started practising in my local pool and experimented with a 50m no-fins breath-hold swim (small beginnings, bear with me). Looking forward to learning to freedive this summer. Peace.

Hi,
Like you I'm a beginner. Just started snorkelling and would like to learn to free dive. Looking to make new friends interested in snorkelling and free diving for some fun days out and experiences in the water.
Karen

Hi,
Like you I'm a beginner. Just started snorkelling and would like to learn to free dive. Looking to make new friends interested in snorkelling and free diving for some fun days out and experiences in the water.
Karen
Hi Karen, sounds great. Seems like we're pretty far apart geographically though, you're lucky to be down near Southampton (bit warmer)! I'm taking my AIDA 2* and open water on the 18th-19th July, are you signed up to a freediving course yet?

Hi Karen, sounds great. Seems like we're pretty far apart geographically though, you're lucky to be down near Southampton (bit warmer)! I'm taking my AIDA 2* and open water on the 18th-19th July, are you signed up to a freediving course yet?

Shame you're far away. I'm looking into AIDA courses, yes! Enjoy your course :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT