• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MWalk4

Apr 10, 2012
Hello from the Bay Area, Nor Cal. Came across your community while looking for tips on how to increase my breath holding time. Recently was introduced to spearfishing, freediving and really enjoy it. Have been scuba diving for 20+ years but this is completely different!

See you around

Hello MWalk , where in the Bay area are you at? my sister lives in San Jose and everytime I go visit her I try to go down to half moon bay, carmel and Big Sur.

Cali is just plain awesome!

Welcome to DB,
Cheers,

Hey there DB!

Lived in SJ for 13 years but I reside in Concord, (East Bay) now. I've never been diving out of Half Moon Bay? We do take the kayak's out and do crabbing in HMB. How's HMB diving? We usually go down to Carmel which takes us through SJ!!

Carmel was awesome this past Friday! Visibility was about 20 feet which is pretty good for Nor Cal.

When's your next visit?

Mwalk4

Hey as I mentioned in my initial post I want to learn how to increase my Breath Holding Time. I see people have mentioned CO2 tables but there are so many different ones. Any recommendations for a newbie?

Thanks DB

I dont know when I will be out there again.

O2 and CO2 tables are just practise to help you out. they teach you this during a freediving course (highly recomended).

the gist of it is, you hold your breath a couple of times until you get to 80% of your max.

and you set up a table from back to front

so lest say your max is 2'30"

your O2 table would look something like

Last) 2'30"
rest 2 min
L-1) 2'30"
rest 2 min
L-2)2'15"
rest 2 min
L-3)2'00"
rest 2 min
L-4)1'45"
rest 2 min
and so on

the CO2 is you try and minimize the rest time.

so for example , set your self a hold time of 1:15
rest for 2 minutes
hold 1:15
rest for 1:45
hold 1:15
rest for 1:30
hold for1:15

do this until you get to one.(or 45)

in an freediving course they can help you out better. I dont know if there are any in norcal but in south california there are a couple. maybe someone here can recomend you one.

Cheers,

Appreciate the assistance! Do you still live in London? My buddy who introduced me to freediving/Spear fishing took a couple of classes and said they are really informative and helpful. Right now $$ is tight and a course just isn't a priority with my wife but it's on the "To Do" list.

Think I'm starting to understand the CO2 tables and found a couple of droid applications for my phone!

Keep me in mind if/when you come this way. My buddy has an extra kayak you could use!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT