• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with herb butter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
apparenty i will start cooking fish i never tasted before :), so the locals here can source some "Chilean" sea bass..and i used a couple of fillets as my starting point.. let me complement Azapa right now for living in a country where they have such great fish.. its similar to regular sea bass, but more thick, white and VERY tender,,,i just added some salt, pepper and squeezed half a lime on the fillets, 20 minutes before preparing:
so here it goes:
Herb Butter:
Some butter
Add chives, corriander (you can add anything really, garlic, capers, chilli etc..)
mix well with the better and then roll it in wrap paper and place in the freezer (you can use it multiple times after that..
Or if you just have 2 fillets like me, then 2 large spoons should be fine..

toss a spoon of the butter in the hot pan, then place the fillets (SKIN SIDE UP)...for a couple of minutes...turn and add the rest of the butter on top and lower the heat and leave for 3 minutes or so...

EAT UP! DELICIOUS!!
I had it with some shrimp risotto.. i must say this is my favourite seafood meal...
I suppose you can do the same with seabass fillets..or grouper or any think fillet with skin on really..

Reactions: Mr. X and agbiv
got some nice compliments from the wife too ;)

Chilean seabass is actually a deep water species called patagonian toothfish. It is not remorely related to seabasss but "Chilean seabass" sounds so much better than "Patagonian toothfish".

It is by all acounts an excellent eating fish and the name change has made it a big seller. Also being mentioned in the film Jurasic Park helped it become famous, apparently. Unfortunately it is very heavily overfished and has been named as one of the so called "dirty dozen". That is one of the 12 species of fish not recommended to buy as they are so overfished. If you want to buy it try to get MSC certified fish from South Georgia, Australia or Antartica.

Sorry to rain on you parade but there you go. Sounds like it tasted good anyway.

Dave

Reactions: Mr. X and azapa
Thanks for the information Old man Dave,... i never heard of the "dirty dozen" who else is on that list?

Reactions: azapa
DON'T BUY CHILEAN SEA BASS.

Dave is 100% correct, it is a deep water fish taken in the south of Chile and terriobly overfished. If you must buy Chilean seafood, go for famred salmon or mussles etc.

(sorry Marwan 'ol bud, but I know you understand, and a good op. for the reminder!)

i must say its strange though, over here its at the supermarket, the restaurants etc... you would never think that its rare, hey we learn everyday..
but really what other species are on that list, next thing you will be telling me not to eat shark either :):):) just kidding :)

I'll post you a list tonight. I'm at work at the moment. There is no absolute list as it changes and depends on who you talk too but I have the latest info at home on the "Dirty Dozen". Top of the list is Atlantic cod as that has been fished nearly to extinction on both sides of the atlantic by the Europeans and the American/Canadians. I'm afraid the list also includes European bass as the current fishery targets spawning and pre spawning congregations.

Dave

1 Atlantic cod
2 Atlantic haddock
3 Bluefin tuna
4 Caviar
5 European hake
6 european sea bass
7 North Atlantic halibut
8 Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish)
9 Grouper
10 Snapper
11 Orange roughy
12 Scallops (dredged)

Nice recipe:p
... Top of the list is Atlantic cod as that has been fished nearly to extinction on both sides of the atlantic by the Europeans and the American/Canadians. I'm afraid the list also includes European bass as the current fishery targets spawning and pre spawning congregations.

Dave
Surprised cod remains so affordable (& therefore popular) despite its demise. I have a theory that cod is only popular because, having only 3-letters it is easy to spell & remember, & it's affordable & usually first in the list in chip shops:D

I am keen to try some different fish this year: bream (Hugh Fernley-Wittingstall reckoned it is half the price of bass), red mullet & some flat fish, maybe Dover sole & dab/flounder/turbo/brill. I also hope to eat more sardines/pilchards & herrings (mackeral is already a staple for us).

Last edited:
Reactions: Marwan
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT