• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

ground bait???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

scottie3030

Sep 13, 2006
hey people
Coming from carp fishing background and being a complete newbie to spearfishing. i was wondering if you could use ground bait to draw the fish into a area the same sort of way i do when carping?
Or would this not be the done thing?

cheers:)

Unless Mr Mako is around I always gut and scale my fish as soon as I’ve shot it. So I guess this is a bit like ground baiting.

makos? do they get round this part of the world? have u seen any? and do they bite?

Last edited:
No idea about your part of the world.
however makos definately do bite and are one of the more dangerous sharks if you see one get out of the area calmly and without wasting time but keep an ey on the shark and don't splash around swim smoothly and calmly so as not to excite it.
Peter

thx poacher not sure about makos over here (uk), people reakon they've seen great whites so anything pos! whats it like spearing in australia? suppose sharks are a real prob?

There is an active fishery for Makos in the UK (catch and release) as well as for porbeagles and blue sharks; do a thread search and you will uncover more information.

Reactions: spaghetti
Spaniard said:
There is an active fishery for Makos in the UK (catch and release) as well as for porbeagles and blue sharks; do a thread search and you will uncover more information.
For your information, Catch and Release for Makos is no more legal up there, Spaniard. New UK regulations say that if you happen to hook one, it is forbidden by law to let it go. And that's reasonable: those things f...ng bite! :rcard

Back on topic: using bait for spearfishing is a common thing in some countries, as well as using "flashers" to attract the fish. But here in the Mediterranean baiting is a no-no, as it is considered "unloyal" and uneffective. More useful for you, in the "Hunting technique" section of the forum, there's a thread called "How to get close to the fish". Some good advice in it.

Greetings from cloudy Italy

Last edited:
ive read the story of a big porbeagle off portland now makos better let my mate get in first from now on:)

while i know that baiting is generally a widespread practice for those who hunt for bluewater species (tuna, wahoo, marlin etc..), i think that for reef/rock fish its better to focus on techniques related to stalking, ambush etc... normally i dont feel very comfortable chumming in open sea, youre sure to invite some unwanted guests, but that comes with the territiry if yu hunt blue water...
take care, cheers :)

Reactions: Bourini
[QUOTE="Marwan, post: normally i dont feel very comfortable chumming in open sea, youre sure to invite some unwanted guests, but that comes with the territiry if yu hunt blue water...
take care, cheers :)[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with Marawan here, the unwanted visitors, and especially here in the Red Sea, can be quite dangerous ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT