• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

growth of spearfishing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I really don't think age has a lot to do with it, I am young and in the range you consider to be impatient. I dive deep and spend countless hours looking for larger fish, passing up on many of the smaller fish. I think the patience factor depends more on the person, then their age because I know of many younger guys who like me enjoy diving and take it seriously.

Originally posted by holdyerbreath
spearfishing also takes a lot of cross training if you want to be successful at it. i run 3 miles everyday and lift weights. if you don't do that your not gonna be able to hold your breath longer, keep ur sling spear cocked back, a lot of things.

I always felt that way too but with 35 lbs of post marriage/newborn arrival "insulation", my breathhold is better than ever. Maybe my newfound total lack of metabolism? Granted, hunting all day seems to be tougher, ht e dives I am making are deeper and longer as well as more comfortable.

Diapers

Originally posted by rigdvr
I always felt that way too but with 35 lbs of post marriage/newborn arrival "insulation", my breathhold is better than ever. Maybe my newfound total lack of metabolism? Granted, hunting all day seems to be tougher, ht e dives I am making are deeper and longer as well as more comfortable.

It's the diapers, Rig. You've been changing diapers. Does wonders for the breath hold. Like being a dentist, having flatulent friends, and driving around diesel trucks. Good point about the lack of metabolism, though.:D
Mark

to paddyfrog::spearfishing in Ireland

It's weird to read about this lack of interest for spearfishing in Ireland. I mentioned that to Huan in other occasion. Spearfishing had a decent following in Ireland back in the 70s and early 80s.

The Irish Underwater Council (Comhairle Fo Thuinn) itself had a spearfishing division with a decent following. They were kind of organized too. Their nationals were held in ~5 rounds around the country. I can recall being held near Dublin, Waterford, Cork and the Irish Open (with international participants) at Valentia Island (Co. Kerry) or Mullaghmore (Co. Sligo). They even organized an European Championships at Killkee (Co. Clare) in 1974, won by the Italian Massimo Scarpatti, individually, and the British team.

Irish spearfishers participated then in many Worlds. I myself participated in the 1976 Irish Open at Valentia Island (finished 3rd). Best Irish spearfishers then were John Murphy and Roger Fitzgeral, from Dublin. The main driving force in the IUC was Billy Nott, an army lieutenant.

I always wondered why things cooled down so much there.:confused:

Enhancing the reputation of spearfishing in areas where sportfishing is king is important to our freedom to spearfish. Sportfishing is a powerfull lobby and sportfisherman feel their sportfishing resources are under pressure.

When you see abusive or disrespectful spearfishing behavior make an effort to help these folks find value in a stewardship approach to spearfishing.

I sometimes approach these folks in a friendly way and ask them if they've had any luck. I find that sharing some of my spearfishing experiences tends to open them right up to a productive conversation on the healthy enjoyment of the sport. Most of the time these folks are hungry for information from others who may have different information than themselves. They're usually very receptive when it comes to preserving and enhancing their spearfishing opportunities. In an attempt to become better, more respected spearfisherman they sometimes adopt the knowledge of other spearfisherman and mimic those that they feel have a higher level of success. When they understand there's honor in being a steward of the sport they often become stewards themselves.

:)

Ireland spearing

I forgot a very important detail about the spearfishing scene in Ireland back in the 70s: it was the very first country to adopt an innovative catch restriction, unheard of in those days; and still ignored by most European countries. Except, I think, the Norwegians.

In their competitions, only free swimming fish above 1 kg were eligible. I.e.: pollack, cod, bass, mullet etc. Wrasse and flatfish, the most common, weren't allowed. In Norway, though, flatfish are eligible, but counting half of the points.

LJ Freediver, I know where you are comming from.

I have lived in SD most of my life. I think the problem you see is that there is alot of interest in spearfishing. I think it is "Blowing up" I see more people kicking around in the kelp than I ever have in my life. I think the only way around the "polespear massacre" problem is boards like this that can give people some info. into the sport so they dont have to go drift down the mission bay channel and shoot (and dont eat) anything that moves.

I began spearing stuff when the surf was small when I was 12, some people dont get the benifit of being exposed to the ocean at a young age and make their first jump into the water at 30. Whatever the age I think that the education factor is what is needed.

As far as crowded spots...now I pull the same move as I did when every freeken break in SD turned into a mosh pit.

I go to BAJA. Like the guy from hawaii said, it makes the sport better when you push the location limit and go on real expeditions.

And my opinion is that spearfishing is just going to keep getting more popular because it has the same qualities as surfing. Comming out of a tube ride and comming off of the bottom with a trophy fish while freediving both give you a feeling that is realy indescribable, so Im not even gonna try.

There are more places to spearfish than there are to surf...Head south

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com

people are basically idiots. the only way to insure that everyone stays safe is to educate. if you see someone taking illegal sized fish, doing something unsafe or unsavory, tell them about it. if you see it and let it go, you are as much of a jackass as the jackass

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT