• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
badlander said:
Those video clips are hideous,funny you should say sick because thats exactly how it made me feel,i don't want to sound like a hypocrite because yes,i like to shoot fish,but that just seems wrong to me.

I agree entirely, why the hell would someone want to post a clip/link on here of something as abhorrent as that.

foxfish said:
Thanks Col but that is hot smoking, I was using that method but moved on to cold smoking.

What's the difference in hot smoking and cold smoking? Do you not light the sawdust in cold smoking? Very interested in this kind of stuff.......

ADM said:
...Good turnout at the walk though, news had it at over 1000 people.
The paper has the number of protesters at around 6,000. not bad for 10% of the population to turn out to protest against something. Let' hope the deputies remember who elected them (hmmm......).

Guern211 said:
My eyes are under -2 but I've got an astigmatism in both eyes so I haven't been able to use normal lenses until now as they have recently released toric lenses which are weighted to allow the lenses to correct for the shape. Unfortunately there are only two makers of these toric lenses at the moment and I haven't managed to find a pair I can keep in for 24 hours as my eye's react badly to them and they get blurry/itchy so I don't fancy using them much yet as I'm not bothered about wearing glasses
Not on the subject of perscription lenses, but I also had astigmatism and had the lasec eye surgery about 4 years ago. My eyes were real bad if I took off my glasses I couldnt make out faces as close as 2m away from me. Four years down the line and my eyes are still perfect. If you ever get tired of wearing your glasses Id say go for this surgery as youll never look back. Then again going for the surgery was a better option for me seein that I broke my glasses about two or three times a year rofl

Was out sailing yesterday morning (pretty hairy at 19.5 knots up the little russell, but thats another story) I reckon the viz was about 1m - maximum. The only diving I did was later on, into the depths of the freezer for a sole!!

I found the shark Video repulsive in as much as it is pointless. Years ago I had a friend I used to dive with who would shoot anything and everything and his excuse would be that they 'looked bigger under water' I'm sure we all make mistakes, but its like the scenario when you loose a fish off the spear, its not something that you want to brag about.

The 5 day forecast looks like it may calm down mid week, but get back up again for the weekend. Looks like there is no end to these weather systems at the moment :head

ADM said:
The paper has the number of protesters at around 6,000. not bad for 10% of the population to turn out to protest against something. Let' hope the deputies remember who elected them (hmmm......).

Newspaper records it as:

Organiser - 5000-6000
Journalists - 3000
Police - 1,000

Ruins any creditability of the march with such a large fluctuation. I didn't march (family stuff) but you should have signed in before you marched (did you?) and then numbers would have been certain. Now it leaves a ? over the event and leaves statements the organisers make to suggestions of over inflating the facts with the march statistics a point to prove it sadly.

Anyway
Git orfff our land! :friday

Did you stay for the meeting afterwards ADM? Were any good points raised?

I couldn't go unfortunately, but did have some mates there for me. was probably tucking into roast pork at the time...

You just need to look at the pictures to see the police figure is rubbish. theres a line of people 4 wide nearly a mile long.

Having been on an awful lot of protests I can say with experience that police everywhere always dramatically underestimate attendance figures.

I must admit that organisers are often as guilty the other way mind!

Ordered a Chrissy present tonight. The wife wanted a new digi camera and I wanted an underwater set up. So decided to get a combined pressie to suit us both. Went for the Casio Exilim EX-Z1000 + Casio EWC-80 housing. Over 10 mp and good reviews on its performance in both still and video mode.

Spent several weeks trying to track down a good internet deal with not a few dead ends on the way. Pixmania had the best price but "We can't trade with the Channel Isles because you are a crown dependancy and not part of the UK or the EU". Never come across that one before. 7Day Shop which is Guernsey based wouldn't take off the VAT on Guernsey sales. Explain that one to me if you can. In the end ordered it from Expansys UK Ltd. The whole package along with a soft camera case and a 1Gb SD card plus postage was just under the £300.

Still haven't got a D3 yet. The cheap deal from Northern Divers has not materialised but I'm still pestering them. Not that I've got any money now but keep telling the missus it's a safety thing.

Wednesday looks like it might be worth a look at night. Couple of less windy (not calm) days are forecast so maybe?

Dave

Old Man Dave said:
Ordered a Chrissy present tonight. The wife wanted a new digi camera and I wanted an underwater set up. So decided to get a combined pressie to suit us both. Went for the Casio Exilim EX-Z1000 + Casio EWC-80 housing. Over 10 mp and good reviews on its performance in both still and video mode.

Spent several weeks trying to track down a good internet deal with not a few dead ends on the way. Pixmania had the best price but "We can't trade with the Channel Isles because you are a crown dependancy and not part of the UK or the EU". Never come across that one before. 7Day Shop which is Guernsey based wouldn't take off the VAT on Guernsey sales. Explain that one to me if you can. In the end ordered it from Expansys UK Ltd. The whole package along with a soft camera case and a 1Gb SD card plus postage was just under the £300.

Still haven't got a D3 yet. The cheap deal from Northern Divers has not materialised but I'm still pestering them. Not that I've got any money now but keep telling the missus it's a safety thing.

Wednesday looks like it might be worth a look at night. Couple of less windy (not calm) days are forecast so maybe?

Dave
Nice deal Dave. I'm looking forward to using my FUJI f10 in the summer - Its great outside the housing on dry land and very quick so should be good underwater.

Here's a couple I took with disposables in Crete in September.

Thats my boy (he's only 5!)
Thatsmyboy.jpg

Ornate Wrasse
ornatewrasse.jpg

Oops ... got a bit enthusiastic with the size reduction, hope you've got a magnifying glass!

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
foxfish said:
Looks like Magpie is comming home with some prizes,
-Well done Tom :friday

Cheers mate, had a good weekend.

Best of 231m, and won the off the ground section with 224m. Also won the apple casting fun competition with 145m.

Also beat the best crapaud this time so I'm now officially the best caster in the Channel Islands! :)

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Well done Tom. That's a great achievement. Respect for the casting king :king .

Well the weatherman kept up his end of the deal so I felt I had to go dive so as to keep up mine. Looked at west coast but seemed swelly so tried north. Pembroke had swell as well but decided to try anyway. It was a nice night with a bright half moon and no cloud. There was no wind in the shelter of the bay but as soon as I waded the surf I reaslised it was going to be a poor vis dive.

One foot to two foot vis and two foot breaking waves was not what I wanted but I kicked the Ice 3's into gear and headed out. Lowish neap tide meant a fair swim and well out from shore to try for vis at depth. In 20 to 25ft I had 6ft to 8 ft at the surface but only 3 to 6 foot on the bottom. There was lots of dead weed on the bottom as well and a good degree of surge. Rubbish conditions. However there was something sureal about upending and gliding down in a misty 6 foot box to see after an age the colour shift as the bottom glowed yellow just before you crashed into it.

Couldn't believe I would find anything but I kept making the drops. After not a few I was down 18inches off the bottom peering around when I was on top of a nice sole. Managed to hand spear it with the loaded gun and headed up to string it. Another few dives and headed shoreward diving as I went. Started to think about nets which was not nice. In about 20ft I was grovelling around again when another sole appeared and was swiftly dispatched and strung. When I reached 15 foot deep on the way in the vis went completely so made a beeline for the shore. Surfed in through the shallows with zero vis which was actually quite scary.

Back home the central heating was on and the shower was turned to roasty toasty. Sticking the shower head down the front of the suit while standing in the shower before stripping of is the only way to finish off a night dive.

Was good to get in tonight as it had been 10 days since the last dive. Two good sole were just a bonus, especially with the crap conditions.

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: podge
Mr "I've-just-sat-on-a-drawing-pin"

Brave man indeed going out in the pea-soup at night, solo.

[m]

Arr, isn't that sweet! Who'd have thought he'd turn into a nutter! Fair play for giving it a go and getting the rewards Dave but like VOMD I'll choose eastenders thanks!

Forcast is for less wind tomorrow, Saturday, but think it's much too stirred up for any decent diving. Looked in L'Ancresse after work and it was sheltered with the southerly wind blowing out but big swell rolling in from several hundred yards out. Maybe Chouet will be better or prehaps St Sampsons harbour area. Would like to night dive again but will have a look tomorrow afternoon. Still thinking (wishing) about catching a big cod, so not too bothered if vis is poor, so long as it's fishable. Would like to catch a BIG red mullet this winter as well.

Dave

Any Threshers in Guernsey?
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=68762"]http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=68762[/ame]:friday :friday

Interesting thread I picked up on a fishing forum. Note the way the discussion evolved before it was closed for whatever reason... :)

[ame="http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46454"]http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46454[/ame]

That trailer is on DB aswell, watched it yesterday. It took them 3 years to make that vid...

Happy birthday Tom. [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=621901#post621901"]Magpie 29 today[/ame]

Yeah ... have a good one, fellow Sagittarian. Mine's not far behind!

Colin

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT