• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gbo200

Aug 7, 2003
OK someone had to start the new thread so I thought it might as well be me!

Anyway, I got the all clear to try out the new and improved sinuses from the doctor today.

So who is up for a New Year's day dive, and where?

I have a key for the bathing pools change room, which is always nice as for 20p you can have a hot shower as you get out of your suit and you don't have to mess up the car in your suit on the way home.

Thoughts anyone?

g.

No diving for me for a while. Besides being a wimp and it being far too cold, she won't let me out of our new house for many weeks yet, far too much to do. Mostly its been demolishing things so far, which is great fun!

Cleared half of the junk (4 1 ton bags so far) out of my 4 new sheds, so getting there!

Anyway, you think we should tell them of our plan for this year GBO?

Well not specifically about spearfishing but freediving, and wouldn't have have even been considered without you Foxy....

Hi all and happy hunting for the new year. I would love to go out sometime but the viz seems very poor. Welcome back George perhaps we can do some pool exercises again.

Welcome back George! Welcome back Spicer.:) Missed you mate.

Roll on July! Just realised it'll be my birthday over that weekend....i'd hate for all of us to celebrate and get really hammered......rofl rofl

Roll on July! Just realised it'll be my birthday over that weekend....i'd hate for all of us to celebrate and get really hammered......rofl rofl

It’s a good job that’s it’s not until July has it’s going to take me that long to save enough money for all the beer’s that I’m going to have to buy. What with the 10 for Mr Magpie and now the 10 for you as well!!

you may get money for your kidneys, but dont reckon anybody would be interested in you liver - its taken far to much of a hammering!

Watcherrrrrrrr all you Guerns, and everyone else! Happy New Year etc.. Ahhh, my first post in about 5 months I think.

I was with Ed on his night dive last week. A very nice one it was too! I think my first dive since the Italians were over at the end of the summer. The viz wasn't excellent, but we were rewarded with some fair sized fishy treats - I had a decent 2.5lb+ sole and a size plaice and my bro Miles had the biggest red mullet I've ever seen. I think it might not have been the best idea getting changed in the carpark though, with that slightly too refreshing breeze to ensure complete numbness ( especially as the heaters in my car have recently packed up!).

As nobody had a camera to photograph that massive conger Ed mentioned, here's a photo of one that Dave pointed out last year. Thanks for the e-xmas card Dave, see you in the water soon!

Pete.

Attachments

• CONGER.JPG
    CONGER.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 292
Haven't seen a conger yet me, not diving anyway.

Anyway, what I was talking about resulted from Foxy's summer BBQ where G said that he'd freedived the Cement Wreck (for any non-islanders reading this thats a wreck that lies in 30ish metres at low tide).

I mentioned this to my old boy, who is a kean diver, who needless to say didn't believe a word of it. But, he takes a lot of video while diving and said he'd love to record a freediver on the wreck.

So, thats the plan, and its is only a vague plan at the moment. We're going to firm up the details later in the year when its warmed up a bit, and is reliant on a number of things, not least George's sinuses taking to diving again without any problems.

I should be able to post a link to the vid for you all to see when its completed.

Last edited:
Good luck with you plans guys, sound amazing!
First Ormer tide today, went down the beach, did not get wet = 3 small but size + 1 nice one. My mum always used to say - make a wish for the first of the season - so I wish us all a fishy year.

We'll keep you updated, but as I said, won't be for a while yet.

Thought about going ormering but the tides really didn't seem worth it, went for a drive round and there wasn't many people on the east/north.

Hi all and Happy New Year.

Back from the snow and not much spearfishing done in Switzerland!

Can anyone tell me when the low tide is today for ormering? The Press says 13.24 but This is Guernsey 14.16! ( must get a tide table). I've noticed before that the various sources differ slightly. L'Eree will no doubt be hammered already so I'll try a spot up North as Tom suggests.

Presumably vis still crap as I'm off until Monday?

FYI, if you set a bookmark to the page "http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=69083&goto=newpost" it will will bring you into the forum at the last post you read.

:) [m]

Happy New Year Everyone.

Back from the snow also, great time had by all.

Desperate to get in the water soon although doesn't look like much chance of that in the near future. Whatever happened to those calm winter days?

Well done OMD and all the others who managed a dip over the hols. A freedive to the cement wreck sounds..... interesting?

They were offering 'plongee sous glace' in a frozen lake near where we were staying....I decided to give it a miss. Santa brought some bits for the new boat including a new A flag so roll on the spring.

Hope to see you all in the water soon

Andy

The ormers aren't playing for me but I bame it on the tides. Spent 2 and a half hours east coast today and didn't even see an undersized one, same for 4 others I saw down there. Heard there are plenty to L'Eree/Lihou though with some people taking 50+, cor la eh!! I is doin' it wrong, must be the pollution to the bay eh? Gives them wings...

Okay so my first post on the New Year thread is gonna be kinda different. The weather is just so awful that it doesn't seem worth even looking with the speargun so I blew the cobwebs off the shore plugging rod. Went out for half an hour on the rocks and fantastic ... caught a 3.5lb bass, despite the waves and rain. Would rather have been night diving tonight but beggers can't be choosers and with the weather the way it is you got to take what you can.

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT