• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Your taste buds have been spoilt though Mart, and the years probably aren't helping much eh;)

Yep John gave me a red mullet last year, thought it was one of the best fish I’ve ever tasted! Want to stock a load of them
Up on some night dives this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: portinfer
Well if you like red mullet then I suggest you get a fresh trout and leave it in the fridge for about three days, a very similar taste.
I really think red mullet tastes very strong and slightly mature even when fresh, very much like freshwater fish.. trout, pike, perch....
I grew up with lots of unusual (for nowadays) foods, my mum was a very resourceful cook!
My dad was a hunter gatherer and fisherman, conger, wrass, freshwater eels, lady crabs, wild mushrooms, wild ducks, geese, pigeon, rabbit... all sorts of things. My mum would always do the preparation, skinning, plucking, filleting...
I did not like a few things like picked ormers, or dried pollock but I think it is fair to say my taste buds were well exercised in my childhood.
I am not even close to my mums cooking ability’s or knowledge but I am a passionate foodie.....

Last edited:
I also love cooking and a wide variety of food but when i was a nipper i was nightmare (apparently) but having Northern parents who moved over here in the late 60's didn't help. Now i have similar struggles with my oldest son but time and understanding will hopefully prevail. Educating kids through the hunter gatherer philosophy to me is a powerful tool, and if then they choose to be Vege, vegan or carni then you've shown them the fairest and hopefully most ethically method of putting meat on the table. My wife's grand parents stayed here during the war and still to this day salivate over the thought of pickled ormer guts and if a Hen spider crab should land in their sink Gran will literally eat the eggs off the crab:sick:, not something i've witnessed but the 'Whispers' are strong:oops:

Yeah pickled ormer guts or good fish, is not something I would recommend if you are squeamish, in fact I would not recommend them full stop.

Reactions: little sarge
More red mullet for us then Mart, had some last night salt rubbed, seasoned, washed and pan fried with the last of my frozen chanterelles doused in butter, lovely.

Put you to the sword Martin, pickled ormer guts or mullet. ????
Good fish, red mullet, grey mullet all much of a muchness mate... golden grey mullet is good.
I have found giltheads to be variable in flavour, some have a sort of cucumber background taste and some are pretty boring.
One thing I always do is bleed my fish, this means killing them with a knife in the gills or if on a boat bleeding them and immediately putting them on ice.
I never do long dives but if I did I would carry ice in an insulated float during this hot weather especially.
I would say that mackerel are probabily the most susceptibility to fast decomposing but pollock is another fish that deaerates very quickly.
On the boat we use a cut down freshwater keep net, put over the side on every drift, all fish that are to be kept are bleed and put in the net until the next drift when they then go on ice.
There can be a huge different to well kept and prepared fish, filleting a fish that has warmed up to summer air temp and not been bleed results in the flesh going soft and tainted with blood.
I have a friend from north England who comes over every year, he loves sea food but I have to feed him almost rotten fish otherwise he just complains it tastes of nothing.
He is a huge fan of pollock but I have to leave it three days in the fridge, Bass has to be four days in the fridge.. I am almost gagging at the smell of strong fish in my kitchen.
I guess that some folk have been brought up on stinky flavoured fish but I was not!

More red mullet for us then Mart, had some last night salt rubbed, seasoned, washed and pan fried with the last of my frozen chanterelles doused in butter, lovely.
Yeah I guess if you soak a fillet in salt for a few hours, fry it hard in butter and add something nice to the dish it might just be bearable ...... with the help of a cloths peg on your nose!
We used to have a couple of decent fish restaurants in years gone by, i find it really hard to find fresh local sea food nowadays.
Da Nellos, Absolute End and Bella Luce were all great in the day but many resteraunts would sell plaice, sole, John Dorry, Blonde Ray, Anglerfish, Gurnard, Bream, pollock and even Red Mullet! Plus many more interesting fish.....
Now we get fecking prawns, queen scallops, squid and salmon.
I very recently ordered what was said to be fresh turbot, it came on a red hot skillet with sizzling garlic butter .. great...but by the time the waitress had got it on my plate, is was really over cooked.

All this talk of Red mullets reminds me of a birthday I celebrated around 11-12 years ago.
I had been out boat fishing with my brother Derek, I caught a really big red mullet, I think it was near 4lb, we were fishing just off the end of Fort La Marchant.
Anyway that was a few days before my birthday and on my birthday Derek gave me a wooden fish with a couple of barbels stuck on, he said it was my prize for the biggest red mullet!

Attachments

• 66BB059B-B0F5-4EF0-AD16-190295AE0079.jpeg
    66BB059B-B0F5-4EF0-AD16-190295AE0079.jpeg
    962.4 KB · Views: 204
Went for a dive yesterday out west coat just before high water, dropping in a spot no deeper than 8m with great vis. Lots of sand-eel around, few small bass but nothing worth taking.

I did however see what I thought was either an Atlantic Salmon or possibly a Sea Trout, no bigger than 2lb... I'm fairly knowledgeable on my species so confident it was one of the two, anyone else seen anything similar in GSY?

One of our members took a sea trout quite a few years back and you get the odd rod caught report most years. They're rare but not unknown.

Fro also had one last year or possibly the year before way out on the west coast but there was a debate here as to which it was. I can’t remember the outcome.

Attachments

• Sea trout.jpg
    Sea trout.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 198
I have been itching to get a dive in since Friday, had a totally free weekend and the weather went to complete shit!

Decided to reband the gun as the old rubbers were over 3 years old. Went for some 14mm bands rather than 16’s on the advice of Ed @portinfer power is back up where it should be and the gun actually turns better too. Thanks for the band making lesson and advice Ed. (y)

Knew the viz was going to be rubbish but just had to get in today. I was doing 30secs down and 30secs up. Only in for a hour but managed a guilty of 3lb 12oz pretty much nothing else seen. Still a swell running too, might leave it for a few days to settle......
70A1EE7F-2F16-49CA-ACE6-2F415EAB7A01.png

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT