• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

little sarge

Jun 7, 2014
Happy new year everyone.

Haven’t been on here for a while and thought I would check and see if there were any 2018 dive reports! No reports and not even a new thread. Winds been up for what seems like forever.

Well here’s the new thread and hopefully someone gets in soon to put up a report.

Have a awesome and safe year of spearing everyone.

Happy new year Kerrin, what are the rules about taking bass this year then....?

Not going to lie to you I am not 100% sure and have been far to busy to look into it. (Still have a few bass fillets in the freezer) I have heard rumours of a total ban but as far as I know nothing has yet been passed for Guernsey so assume it’s still the same regulations as last year.

Noticed the fish-in and bass festival are on the same weekend, do you think this will cause any problems? Belgrave is definitely one of the rod anglers favourite spots during the bass festival but they will also be fishing in most other spots around the island.

Last edited:
Happy new year one and all.

Have been meaning to get in the water but the weather has been rubbish.

I'm still unclear on what the rules are for bass for us spearos....

Reactions: foxfish
So who listened to Channel new at 6? I did not like the sound of that!

I've asked many many times but still no reply to the question of under what legislation are these measures put in place. No answer because they know full well they have no legal authority to do so. So carry on as you see fit, they can't do anything about it.

Reactions: little sarge
Mike Made this very poignant post on fb

Mike Shearer
Guernsey fishermen beware....Jersey was in the same position until a couple of years ago... we also had no laws in place in respect of bag limits for recreational fishermen, but as a result of EU hype regarding the exaggerated impact of recreational fishing on bass ....local politicians agreed to introduce a bag limit for bass, for purposes of conservation. Jersey fishermen were divided, and many feared this was the thin end of the wedge, but never the less, they accepted what they thought was a sensible limit of three fish per day. However, once the law was in place, their fears were realised and the limit was quickly reduced to one fish and now to zero take. Worse still, having got the bag limit legislation passed, Jersey Fisheries are are now attempting to introduce further restrictions against recreational anglers in respect of many other species ...and they openly state that this is not for conservation , but so that it would liberate species, including lobsters, crabs etc , so that they could be caught by the commercial sector! Jersey fisheries also now want to introduce bag limits on all manner of other species, not because of an evidenced conservation need, but again either to liberate them so they can be caught by the commercial sector, or because they do it in France! This includes a bag limit on worms! Allegedly introducing these limits in Jersey may make it easier for Jsy fisheries to negotiate post brexit! Fortunately, Jersey now has a very active association to represent the recreational fishing sector and they organised an online petition which so far has received support of approx 2500 people and as a result we may just be able to prevent these further ridiculous restrictions. If Guernsey has an association to represent its recreational fishermen, in whatever form, ie low watering, rod fishing etc now is the time to unite and take action.

Reactions: little sarge
As suspected, they can't do anything if you're diving from the shore, and they can't do anything about nets even if they wanted to:

Bass.gif

Hi all,

Kristian, Dan and I went for a frosty first dive of the year on Saturday down at Portelet. Even with the crust of frozen sand beneath our feet it was a stunning morning.

Vis was about 4m at best, slim pickings and we only managed an hour before succumbing to the cold and making a hasty exit but great to be back in the water.

Having only started spearing last summer I’d gotten used to the area having quite a bit of string weed but nearly all had gone. Would this be due to the storms or is it a seasonal weed?

And is it fair to assume that the lack of species would be because the habitat has suffered or at this time of year do you need to be diving deeper?

Advice always much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kristian Allen
Ha Ha that is crazy!
Scallops on a nice low tide but finding fish (or weed) is unlikely!
The weed will come back with the sun & temp but not until around April.
In theory there should be red mullet, bass, & even gilthead, I say that mainly because that is what you can find in the fishmonger.

Haha! Well a bracing swim none the less...

Should have asked before freezing out nuts off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don’t think it is Tom, I have bought that one but it seems to have a standard sized inner hole and standard stretch rate.
I think the one Dano sells have a higher recovery rate and stretches to 4 Xs the length.
There are a few YouTube vids and quite a few forum post about the bands, all positive but you never really know until you try yourself ah...

Nothing directly to do with spearfishing but, I went to the fish mongers today & bought a nice sized Gilthead.
They are not unusual to see & sell at £13 kg.
In other words about £10 for a good sized portion, or roughly £10 for half a fillet from one side of a 7lb fish.

Reactions: denian
I made the mistake of feeding my folks Gilthead in the summer, they are now propper snobby about white fish and any dive now where Gilthead is not forthcoming is deemed a failure in their eyes lol (i.e 99% of my dives)

Keen to get back in for some dives but just waiting on viz, given the current temperature, unless its Gin im not getting in.

Ive moved to Vazon for 3 months and am keen for some dives, anyone know if people are netting the bays still ?

Reactions: jerseymike
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT