• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think you will be ok from the 1st of April?
Yes giltheads are rather nice, especially the bigger ones.
I have a particular full time fishing friend who has kindly kept me supplied with them over the winter, well one every four or five weeks anyway.
He fishes out from the north west and tells me the giltheads have been an important species for him this winter.
He has had several doubles but mainly 4 - 7lb fish.
I ask him to bleed the fish if they are still alive but as most are dead in the net, they do have blood in the filets and I don’t like that, however beggars can’t be choosers......

ha ha nice Mart, got yourself a "dealer" wish I was that fortunate.

I will wait until the 1st week of april and the viz clearing then i'm going to start diving properly down Vaz, looks ideal for night diving, theres lots of bass bream and lobs that way too, and aside from the odd lobster cricking and ormers ive had no fish for months (I refuse point blank to pay for seafood :D)

Reactions: Eddy1666
Good mooch down the beach and Fun Dive today with Mr 250 once I’d eventually found my dive gear and dusted it off. Bitterly cold but great viz .
Do plaice spawn in winter/ spring? I had a 40cm fish but it was in my opinion “shagged out” really skinny.

Attachments

• CC28A743-B0F3-437A-A909-1132482F7BB8.jpeg
    CC28A743-B0F3-437A-A909-1132482F7BB8.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 78EED877-CADE-481C-A383-E666D3E0F57A.jpeg
    78EED877-CADE-481C-A383-E666D3E0F57A.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: westcoaster
Yes plaice go off shore to breed in the winter and are at their worst possible condition at this time of year.

Lesson learned Mart, tasted fine but had the meat of a fish half it’s size so will wait a a while until I take the next one. What months are they at their best mart and inshore?

They always arrive in that condition but soon plump up if there is enough food.
In years gone by, in a time when plaice could be caught on a rod from the shore. It was possible to catch & release the poor condition fish & keep the better ones. Not so easy to spot the good and bad without handling them but I think that by the end of the April all should be recovered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro-in-shorts
Seal eating a big bream. There's been a fair few gilthead carcasses washed up as well, probably having met the same fate.

Ahh I see it now, I thought it was a spearo holding up his catch!

Saw a big seal out there today while kayak fishing with Tom. Bit choppy but good to get out in the kayak again - see how the shoulders are tomorrow. Have yet to catch a fish on rod and line!

Reactions: foxfish
Yeh, he didn't have any fish with him this time, and he didn't want to come and say hello so you can't quite see him:

Attachments

• 2018-04-07 12.36.30.jpg
    2018-04-07 12.36.30.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 242
Sorry Pierre, spent most of the weekend down perelle surfing or in the mermaid/ herm . Had a quick dip in herm, lots of bass seen but very cold

Reactions: Brandon89
Have had 5 or so dives so far this year. It's still a bit chilly at 11C but nice to go in.
Went yesterday and had a couple of spider crabs (1.4kg) and a lobster (720g). My current cooking strategy is a minute per 100g - so 7 minutes for the lobster and 14 for the crabs. Too much? Too little? Seems about right to me.

Last week there were quite a few bass around and yesterday a shoal of schoolies appeared in the shallows.
New gear is working out - Cressi Calibro mask is really nice and about to swap out the gun rubbers for some small ID stuff.
Ready for summer.

I would say 3 - 4 mins actual boiling for the lobster, maybe 5 - 6 mins actually boiling for the spider.
spider legs are pretty small really, it is only the leg socket meat that needs a bit more cooking time.
Lobster tail meat goes very tough very easily, a bit like cooking a soft boiled egg... if you leave the top on it will go hard.
So I tend to boil my lobster for a just few mins and pull off the head as soon as it come out of the boiling salted water.
I have a very big crab boiler & it does not really go off the boil once heated up, this does make a big difference compared to a small pot on an electric stove. I guess everyone need s to experiment for themselves with the equipment they have.
Anyway an undercooked lobster tail is very easy to spot as it will still be opaque in the middle but that is not an big problem as you can just re cook it in a frying pan with a bit of butter & boil the next one for 30sec more....

Last edited:
Thanks Mart, will scale the time back a bit but yeah on my stove it takes a bit of time to get back up to the boil. Tasty meals!
Saw Fro & Matt this morning at the end of a successful bug hunt, nice to catch up and very peaceful down at the shore.

314DDB68-F3F2-4DEE-AC79-ED521E8FBDA1.jpeg
3CAD7332-09A2-427B-A0B0-2AD54D065E6C.jpeg
314DDB68-F3F2-4DEE-AC79-ED521E8FBDA1.jpeg
My wood fired oven get up to 1000f (540c) and can cook fish fillets in seconds rather than minutes!
I tend to use it around 400c to cook with, I cut 1:5 - 2lb fresh lobster in half and roast for around 3-4 mins, a pan full of scallops takes around 2 mins, whole 4lb fish in 6 mins.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT