• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Had a night dive a while back and grabbed a nice lobster, found some others but left them to grow. Not that many red mullet around and only 30cm sole (my personal min size).

Solo on Tuesday: little bit murky and a little bit of swell but fishable. Was doing aspettos and seeing shoals of black bream coming in. Lined up the bigger one in the shoal, took the shot and was surprised to see two fish spinning on the spear.
Kept on with the aspettos and every other drop or so was seeing fish. On one drop I saw bass, black bream and red mullet. On another one I saw black bream moving in but I waited and sure enough a gilthead came in, I lined it up but it zig-zagged off just as I was about to take the shot, ran out of breath too (1'40" at about 7m I think).

Went yesterday with Pierre and Kristian. Rough spot! Swell and wave slap. Clear vis though considering the conditions. Was diving 11m at the deepest at about 1'20" and you could make out the weed/sand border from the surface. Found a shoal of black and white mixed bream and had a couple of drops but they really kept their distance. Tricky. Showed Pierre and he saw them too - bit deep for long aspettos for both of us.
Went looking for calmer waters in the shelter of the reef and did shallow 30 second aspettos on the way back, Small/medium sized bass headed directly at me, turned on the spearpoint so I took it home.

Attachments

• 20180821-lobster-900g.jpg
    20180821-lobster-900g.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 20180829-black-bream-1-10.jpg
    20180829-black-bream-1-10.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Pierre J. (Saffa) - I have met the other Pierre but have yet to dive with him. Was a good dive but conditions were a bit rough! Kristian did well - always good when the yoof are keen :)

Reactions: Kristian Allen
Was in two minds about hitting the early morning low... left it to chance, no alarm but woke up early so went diving.

Clear & shallow with a good moon. Saw the usual suspects, red mullet, big bass, grey mullet, sole. Took a sole and a couple of plaice and left the rest. Found a 5 lb ish bass sitting in the eel grass so studied that for a bit, same with a cuttle and a Couche's bream. Saw a few black bream too.

I always look (but don't touch) at the pots and store pots... saw one in the middle of the bay with a large crayfish in it. Amazing to see! Even behind bars. Incredible animal, good on Sark for changing their laws. Probably not much chance of any of us seeing one in the wild as I think they are deep and in current normally
20180831-plaice-1pound-12.jpg

Was in two minds about hitting the early morning low... left it to chance, no alarm but woke up early so went diving.

Clear & shallow with a good moon. Saw the usual suspects, red mullet, big bass, grey mullet, sole. Took a sole and a couple of plaice and left the rest. Found a 5 lb ish bass sitting in the eel grass so studied that for a bit, same with a cuttle and a Couche's bream. Saw a few black bream too.

I always look (but don't touch) at the pots and store pots... saw one in the middle of the bay with a large crayfish in it. Amazing to see! Even behind bars. Incredible animal, good on Sark for changing their laws. Probably not much chance of any of us seeing one in the wild as I think they are deep and in current normally
.View attachment 52492
Thats a very nice collection of Flats, i went with Brandon on Friday and although we saw plenty of Sole the biggest was about 35 which Brandon picked up rather than speared i had one just on 30cm and to be honest i won't go that small again as the fillets aren't worth the effort, should probably grill it whole. i did see a minute Octopus which made me really wish i had a camera.

You sure it wasn't a little cuttle?

http://www.trevorreesphotography.co.uk/photo_11890038.html

I filmed one (badly) a while ago.....blimey, 11 years ago! Cameras (and torches) weren't so good then!

wicked Vid TJ.
It was tiny, total length maybe an inch and a half but with a perfectly bulbous head and the tentacles underneath and moving as you'd expect, i was on my way down as it caught my eye in the light so i paused to watch it, super cool little fella, and that and other critters i saw make me want to either fix my camera setup or update.

Cool, octopus are long overdue a comeback here.

I heard a couple of reports about 2 months back that west coast fisherman had been catching small octopus so with any luck we will start seeing them again.
Video cracked me up Tom.

Reactions: Magpie
Dive report from the Magpie must mean it's night dive season! In with Ed and Pierre last night. Decent but not special viz. Started out pretty quiet with just more finger sized red mullet than I'd seen in one place than before, and one proper size which came with me.

After an hour or so I found a takeable sole, and then another, and then another, and later on, having left a couple of similar ones, took another. Nothing much more exciting than that but a decent haul for a first dive of the season. The others had a plaice, a sole and a triumvirate of decent lobbos between them.

A good start, but a surprising lack of bass about. Not that I would have taken any, honest...

Attachments

• 2018-09-04 22.11.31.jpg
    2018-09-04 22.11.31.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 212
Don’t you think it is just amazing that it is now possible to catch bluefin tuna from a Guernsey port!
Shame that it is not legal though!
Imagine that sumptuous tuna steak in your fridge sitting amongst the other 300 all queuing up to be eaten!

Had a nice couple of dives with the guys followed by a end of season bbq this weekend before the summer nights come to an end. It really has been the best summer for a few years as far as the weather goes.

Fridays dive the viz was mixed, the kind that’s better when the sun goes behind a cloud. I had seen a few schoolie bass and a couple of 2-3 lbers and some decent mullet. Was holding out for a guilty and finally took one of 4lb 2oz
Our little African friend Pierre also had a nice one. :cool:
6981C130-0DE4-4699-8078-68C6C9F52FD2.jpeg

Saturday saw Better viz. Saw some stinking mullet but only a handful of curious schoolie bass which hopefully made for good filming. Saw a couple of nice guilts but unfortunately they saw me first. Ended up taking one which was 2.4lbs gutted. Couple of the others had some nice ones but I will let them tell you about that. Spent 10mins playing with a super friendly female seal at the end of the dive which was great, always super nice to see. On the whole a successful and enjoyable dive followed by some excellent eating and a few beers. Cheers guys in was a “squeeeeeeeeeeeeal”
89FF5EC3-441C-404C-B62E-01304800C750.jpeg

3E323643-1BCE-46DC-AE03-1C3A7301C1A1.jpeg

9E5C7C8E-A91E-4705-9CE5-8058CFBB395F.jpeg

Heard Mike Shearer in Jersey also had a successful weekend with the Guilhead, well done mate. (y)

Had a nice couple of dives with the guys followed by a end of season bbq this weekend before the summer nights come to an end. It really has been the best summer for a few years as far as the weather goes.

Fridays dive the viz was mixed, the kind that’s better when the sun goes behind a cloud. I had seen a few schoolie bass and a couple of 2-3 lbers and some decent mullet. Was holding out for a guilty and finally took one of 4lb 2oz
Our little African friend Pierre also had a nice one. :cool:
View attachment 52521

Saturday saw Better viz. Saw some stinking mullet but only a handful of curious schoolie bass which hopefully made for good filming. Saw a couple of nice guilts but unfortunately they saw me first. Ended up taking one which was 2.4lbs gutted. Couple of the others had some nice ones but I will let them tell you about that. Spent 10mins playing with a super friendly female seal at the end of the dive which was great, always super nice to see. On the whole a successful and enjoyable dive followed by some excellent eating and a few beers. Cheers guys in was a “squeeeeeeeeeeeeal”
View attachment 52525

View attachment 52526
View attachment 52527
Heard Mike Shearer in Jersey also had a successful weekend with the Guilhead, well done mate. (y)
Fantastic catch guys! Roughly what weight were the biggest you saw?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT