• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
After having man flu for around 3 weeks....finally managed to get in a few dives in looking for a gilty, needless to say none around and very little show of life of anything else. Took the gun Ed made me to another spot, was not much happening apart from loads of mullet swimming around, a thin lip had been zooming around me for ages, probably not the same one but decided it was time to test the gun out, the current started to move with the tide coming up and bass came with it, started to do shallow aspettos into the kelp and on one of the drops a 3.6lb bass came home for tea.

Great weekend diving, Saturday started off with a miss on a nice bass of around 5lb, sitting in the weed and at point blank on the head, the fish got away... carried on and found another bass as I was stalking the jap weed, that went on the stringer, took me about 15 minutes to untangle myself of shooting line and jap weed, continued and about 15 minutes later came across what I thought was another bass in the slight bad viz, then saw gold, took a shot and the fish was on, but wrapping itself around the jap weed, dived down and unsuccessfully managed to grab it, had to go back up for air and then back down again, then got a solid hold on the fish. Continued on and found a bigger fish but had to make a quick turn and shoot and just missed it. Epic dive and good that a good few others were caught by the other guys.
Sunday the vis was patchy and a seal decided that she wanted to tag along for most of the time, tons of massive mullet around but left them alone today, saw lots of bass but the fish were flying past and no chance of a shot, eventually came across what looked like a 5lb+ fish but when I went to take a shot, found the safety on the RA had slid to the middle and needless to say didn't fire! Good seeing the seal underwater and another good dive despite the viz and lack of gilitys. Cheers Guys, was epic catching up after I was gutted missing the comp.

Attachments

• bass2.JPG
    bass2.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    756.9 KB · Views: 259
  • matt gilthead2.JPG
    matt gilthead2.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 256
  • matt gilthead5.JPG
    matt gilthead5.JPG
    601.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 247
  • Mullet.JPG
    Mullet.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 242
Not the best as the vis wasn't great.....GHOST seal!! bands were loaded as this was the first time I saw her, although the other guys knew she was all over me! Might have some more footage as unloaded the gun the next time

Reactions: foxfish
And you did not even know he had done it till you got out the water.
Anyway with all theses tuna around I would be thinking more about great whites than porbeagles .....

Only joking ..... I dropped my weight belt

After having man flu for around 3 weeks....finally managed to get in a few dives in looking for a gilty, needless to say none around and very little show of life of anything else. Took the gun Ed made me to another spot, was not much happening apart from loads of mullet swimming around, a thin lip had been zooming around me for ages, probably not the same one but decided it was time to test the gun out, the current started to move with the tide coming up and bass came with it, started to do shallow aspettos into the kelp and on one of the drops a 3.6lb bass came home for tea.

Great weekend diving, Saturday started off with a miss on a nice bass of around 5lb, sitting in the weed and at point blank on the head, the fish got away... carried on and found another bass as I was stalking the jap weed, that went on the stringer, took me about 15 minutes to untangle myself of shooting line and jap weed, continued and about 15 minutes later came across what I thought was another bass in the slight bad viz, then saw gold, took a shot and the fish was on, but wrapping itself around the jap weed, dived down and unsuccessfully managed to grab it, had to go back up for air and then back down again, then got a solid hold on the fish. Continued on and found a bigger fish but had to make a quick turn and shoot and just missed it. Epic dive and good that a good few others were caught by the other guys.
Sunday the vis was patchy and a seal decided that she wanted to tag along for most of the time, tons of massive mullet around but left them alone today, saw lots of bass but the fish were flying past and no chance of a shot, eventually came across what looked like a 5lb+ fish but when I went to take a shot, found the safety on the RA had slid to the middle and needless to say didn't fire! Good seeing the seal underwater and another good dive despite the viz and lack of gilitys. Cheers Guys, was epic catching up after I was gutted missing the comp.
Brilliant pics to back up a great post, i especially like the bass swimming beneath you give the wary side eye.

Reactions: westcoaster
Had another enjoyable dive on Sunday. Tide was super low which made the area I was in abit unfishable at times, lots of big boy mullet seen with plenty of small bass in the shoals. Viz wasn’t as good as previous days but still fishable. My female seal friend came for a play and also brought one of her friends along too. Spent about 20 mins videoing and playing boo around the weeds with them before I headed off. So glad my camera hadn’t run out of battery this time.
Bit further into the dive I was in about 3meters of water when I saw abit of disturbance on the sand and a tail flapping around, went down for a closer look and to my surprise it was a marble electric ray and the tail I saw was that of the mullet it was eating! Absolutely amazing to see and capture on film. Carried on for a bit longer seeing small bass when I switched tactics and started to do some up tiding now the tide was flowing well, saw a couple more small bass before I found a nice one of 7lb 1oz which came home for dinner.
Not the most fishy dive but saw and captured some amazing things. I will sort through the footage properly when I get a chance and post it here for you to see.
2BC3CBE3-9860-4E36-AE40-C2049B8FF3A1.jpeg
445C2DCC-346A-4C9A-A3F6-9328F59BE075.jpeg
2F4C8AB1-5AFF-4C42-AB4B-A5FA1543FBCC.jpeg
35CD05FB-19C5-4837-96B5-C7E96431D0A6.jpeg
0AD492BE-DEBA-4987-9E79-790B2CA886C5.jpeg

4B93A1CC-D4CF-439A-9D41-D66F991D0465.jpeg

Some great action pictures there Kerin, looking forward to the video.

Some great action pictures there Kerin, looking forward to the video.

Cheers Mart, been busy at work but will sift through lots of footage and make a proper vid when I have some spare time....... maybe xmas.........

Had another enjoyable dive on Sunday. Tide was super low which made the area I was in abit unfishable at times, lots of big boy mullet seen with plenty of small bass in the shoals. Viz wasn’t as good as previous days but still fishable. My female seal friend came for a play and also brought one of her friends along too. Spent about 20 mins videoing and playing boo around the weeds with them before I headed off. So glad my camera hadn’t run out of battery this time.
Bit further into the dive I was in about 3meters of water when I saw abit of disturbance on the sand and a tail flapping around, went down for a closer look and to my surprise it was a marble electric ray and the tail I saw was that of the mullet it was eating! Absolutely amazing to see and capture on film. Carried on for a bit longer seeing small bass when I switched tactics and started to do some up tiding now the tide was flowing well, saw a couple more small bass before I found a nice one of 7lb 1oz which came home for dinner.
Not the most fishy dive but saw and captured some amazing things. I will sort through the footage properly when I get a chance and post it here for you to see.
View attachment 52548View attachment 52549View attachment 52550View attachment 52551View attachment 52552
View attachment 52553
Really looking fwd to electric ray clip

Question for you guys, i'm currently using a 75cm Roller gun and get on with really well from the shooting side of things but they are a bit of a faff on the loading front especially if you want to be quick about it. So my question is what length of traditional (Euro style) gun do you boys find best suits our waters or what combinations of gun lengths do you consistently use? I realise that depth and visibility are key factors.

Reactions: Brandon89
Question for you guys, i'm currently using a 75cm Roller gun and get on with really well from the shooting side of things but they are a bit of a faff on the loading front especially if you want to be quick about it. So my question is what length of traditional (Euro style) gun do you boys find best suits our waters or what combinations of gun lengths do you consistently use? I realise that depth and visibility are key factors.
I find the 80 is a perfect size, has enough power for what I need and good size for stalking

Reactions: little sarge

I think a 90 is a good all rounder for our waters. If you go bigger it won’t be good for stalking or rubbish viz, but still big enough for aspetto hunting. Maybe not great for those super long shots......
In a ideal world you would have a gun for stalking, rubbish viz and night dives and another for super clear aspetto diving.

90 is a good all rounder I'd say .
How come you faf when loading your roller ? I don't have an issue with mine, i can load it to full power with one band pull using a loop of line (bridal ) on then ends of the rubber so I can grab the band's when they are on the furthest bottom knotch

90 is a good all rounder I'd say .
How come you faf when loading your roller ? I don't have an issue with mine, i can load it to full power with one band pull using a loop of line (bridal ) on then ends of the rubber so I can grab the band's when they are on the furthest bottom knotch
Mine is an Apnea Whaler and has 3 power options underneath and on occasion when i have amped up to Max and 2nd notch once fired the recoil of the band will release the underside and so i then have to sort that out before the spear and firing line then reload, not ideal when being shoaled.

Reactions: Eddy1666
I was looking at getting a wooden gun, i won't say the brand as i know you are mostly Riffe fans but my options were 110 and 120 and i thought that was probably a tad much weapon to be swinging;) I think with the power/distance my Roller has that would be looking to get a stalking gun and using the Roller for deeper dives where spending time on the surface loading etc isn't a disturbance issue.

Reactions: Eddy1666
View attachment 52548View attachment 52549View attachment 52550View attachment 52551View attachment 52552
View attachment 52553
Kerrin, talk about right place almost right time with the Marble. You're like a magnet to cool underwater stuff. I also look forward to the footage.

Reactions: little sarge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT