• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Pierre,
I have 4 wooden guns at the moment.

Two measure 130cm from handle to spear tip - one with 79cm of band pull and the other a twin band with 97cm of pull. Big difference in power, range & use.

The other two are longer guns. Both measure 157cm from floor to spear tip. One with a single band at 99cm pull and the other a twin at 106cm of pull. Very different guns.

I think the type of gun is as important as the total physical length.

How do you dive?
Mostly shallow stalking or deep drops?

For me I've tried to use a medium/high mass twin band gun with a 97cm pull and total length of 130cm for most of this year.

It is pretty close to a good all rounder for my style. I mostly do aspettos / drops with some shallow stalking in the mix. I think a gun with a total length of 130cm is quite compact and agile but mine has the mass for more power and longer shots if I need it. Happy to show you if you want.

Reactions: Tipticiter
Hi Pierre,
I have 4 wooden guns at the moment.

Two measure 130cm from handle to spear tip - one with 79cm of band pull and the other a twin band with 97cm of pull. Big difference in power, range & use.

The other two are longer guns. Both measure 157cm from floor to spear tip. One with a single band at 99cm pull and the other a twin at 106cm of pull. Very different guns.

I think the type of gun is as important as the total physical length.

How do you dive?
Mostly shallow stalking or deep drops?

For me I've tried to use a medium/high mass twin band gun with a 97cm pull and total length of 130cm for most of this year.

It is pretty close to a good all rounder for my style. I mostly do aspettos / drops with some shallow stalking in the mix. I think a gun with a total length of 130cm is quite compact and agile but mine has the mass for more power and longer shots if I need it. Happy to show you if you want.
I have mostly been a shallow Stalker (sounds lie i'm in a confessional:D)as thats what i was comfortable and successful with, but curiosity has got me wanting to see more variety of species, and now am starting to get more confident in deeper ambush (Aspettos?) dives so am on a new hopefully progressive curve.

And that is why you need at least two guns to start with and then over time build your collection like Ed

Reactions: Tipticiter
And that is why you need at least two guns to start with and then over time build your collection like Ed
I currently have 4 guns, one of which i'm converting solely for night dives but the other two are both bulky with 3 bands 9mm spears bought back in the 90's, so i'm trying to play catch up.

Reactions: foxfish
Get building....
image.jpg

Between us we've dived Grande Havre A LOT. Anyone ever seen a stingray in there? I'd wager she wouldn't know a stingray if she stepped on one. Bet this was a weaver, jelly or just as sharp bit of stone that got infected.

The lady is a friend of my mum's friend .. she got stung a month ago and has had lots of infections , pain and black puss coming out on the wound the whole time . Apparently it was tested and said to contain something that only comes from sting rays toxins .
I have never seen one in that bay before but to be honest never seen one in Guernsey in any other bay but I am sure they are there sometimes ..

Fair enough, it was the comment that they've seen lots of them in there since she was stung makes me think she doesn't know what one actually looks like.

Reactions: portinfer
Oh really I didn't read the whole thing.
Sounds extremely unlikely agreed . In that shallow water especially

A bit sensational ah but I guess it is possible.
We saw dozens of them in New Zealand, right in the shallows, some were huge, never seen one over here but Derek did see one in perelle.

Have you been out looking for any plaice Mart? Usually this time of year your getting them eh.

I would of been over the last few days but I have an ear infection, i am hoping it will clear up very soon.
I went in last week full of confidence but I did not even see a single sign of a plaice or sole.

What a day for flatfish ah, flat calm, clear water, no swell for the last few days.... and my ear is worse today!

Late puff ball Mart, but then everything is late this year.

Reactions: denian
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT