• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2020

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Same to you Martyn .hope all is well down on the islands .let this brutal weather end and spring arrive.wish good viz to all

Reactions: foxfish
Thanks mate...we have our share of stormy weather, there are new sand banks and exposed ancient forest on the beaches !
We have had destroyed slipways and roads covered in beach stone but to be fair nothing that most of us have not seen before.

Picked up my self my first woody may be weeks befor I gat to use it !

Attachments

• IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_3811.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_3812.JPG
    IMG_3812.JPG
    639.6 KB · Views: 361
Hey guys hope you’re all well and keeping safe. Been meaning to try lobstering on foot for the last couple of years so with the lock down and huge tides I took the opportunity and got out Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday I went to a spot which I thought would be good ground but found a serious lack of holes so gave up and picked up a couple of ormers on the way back up the beach. I did find 1 small lobster though which was great to see.

0C55F308-6053-418A-A4F1-894B21CCE946.jpeg

Thursday I was out again with the family this time and in what I would say was a much better place for lobster holes. Found a couple of lovely holes with signs that lobsters had been there recently but unfortunately knowone was home. Carried on a little and to my surprise I found one which looked to be of size. Had fun getting it out and it was definitely of size. Carried on abit longer and found another small one.
Great fun and a nice tasty meal, also nice to be able to do together as a family.

E5381A7D-5243-436D-85DD-B4FD60668903.jpeg

7C749D5E-F5DE-4607-A4BA-11748A0D49F4.jpeg

Beardy and his son JP have made this great video ... very well done guys...

Great vid Marcel, very professional!

Being Liberation Day it is now the traditional time for a first dive of the year. So yesterday I headed down to the south coast. I'd rod fished the same spot the other day and lost hook after hook to what I was pretty sure was the annual spider crab invasion, so that was the main target.

On attempting to drag me old suit on I managed to pop two finger holes clean through it. Having bought it in 2007 I guess it's served it's time, so I think I'll be browsing for new rubber. Anyway, pressed on regardless and sure enough it was paved with spiders. Every dive there was 3 or 4 wondering around on the sand, mostly females but plenty of big males too.

Also happily found I'd stumbled into a nice patch of scallops too, so a dozen of those joined 3 crabs on my float. 1 rocky was the sum total of fish seen. I think the crabs had scared them all off, the place was paved in them!

Viz was slightly better than average, but far from spectacular, nice to be in though and made some work for my crab picker at home...

Attachments

• 2020-05-08 15.32.04.jpg
    2020-05-08 15.32.04.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 337
  • 2020-05-08 16.44.08.jpg
    2020-05-08 16.44.08.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 323
Thanks Tom, nice pictures... learn them young ah!

The virus has forced some unusual twist especially with the commercial fishermen only being able to sell their catch locally.
The fisherman we have been dealing with, told us he was selling his catch at the same price he would normally get from the wholesalers .
Large spider £2 medium spider £1.50 Giant spider £3.50.
lobster small £5 medium £6 large per kg but last week we paid £15 for two 2.5-3lb lobsters.
Yesterday we had three one hookers for £10 delivered .
These are the prices local restaurants normally pay so make the most of it I say!

Hi,
I'm new to spearfishing and diving here in guernsey and was wandering if anyone had any tips on how to find places to go to find fish. I understand that no one is going to give away their favourite spots but if anyone could give me some pointers on what I'm looking for in a good spot. e.g. Depth, Bed cover, Currents, etc. I have been freediving and spearfishing in much more tropical waters so for me this is a big change, any tips will be very welcome.

I also have seen the thread for a comp that was due to take place in a couple of weeks, is there any news on that? Sounded like a good event.

Welcome. The joy of where we live is there is nowhere that is "bad" as such. Everywhere has something worth looking for at some point, working out when that is is the bit that takes time.

To start with find some weed beds at lowish tide, the fish are far more likely to be hanging around features like this and gives you a chance to sneak up or ambush them. GO SLOW. Don't go charging around or they'll be long gone before you see them.

Depth depends on the species, but you'll find bass in a couple of feet for example so it's not that important. You can get some good fish in tide runs, or hanging just off the side of one. As you've got experience in the water don't be worried about exploring them. It's great fun to ride a stream just make sure you know where it goes!

Welcome Sark diver, just as magpie says.... find a calm low tide mark with lots of weed and think like a sniper crawling around in the jungle!
I don’t think there will be a big competition this year as none of the U.K. divers can get here but there might well be a smaller local version.
I have organised the competitions for the last 14 years but Pierre Garrick has now taken over so I can’t say for sure what is happening?

Here’s a couple of pics from my first few dives of the year. Chuffed with a new GH pb of 8lb 2ounce even if it was only by 1 ounce! Never really targeted lobsters before but I’m enjoying this too.
9F8B3F04-C64A-465A-930C-E556377DC9F7.jpeg
B92F24E2-927F-4AC4-A4EC-414C4ECA90C1.jpeg
3B203843-E916-45B5-B18E-4B70914DC101.jpeg
534CD1AD-0825-49CE-83CC-C13AB36617C1.jpeg
F4BDF44F-401E-4F9D-A57F-C41822301FF1.jpeg
8C48EB91-EE81-4335-A4A2-9362F76EA8F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for advice Magpie and Foxfish, looking forward to honing my inner sniper. Looks like there are some good fish out there and seems like a great community. I hope that we can smaller informal comp day with a meet and greet afterwards, it would be nice to make a day of it.

Can I also double check if it is still illegal to spearfish in Sark? I grew up there and I remember it being illegal back then.

Hi All, loooooong time follower of this page. Thanks for all the wisdom over the years and sorry to lurk in silence, I’m finally breaking cover.

I first started spearfishing on the island in 2001, just stalking mullet in the shallows and pretty infrequently at that. Over recent years I’ve been spearfishing in South Devon and this year have become particularly obsessed.

My family and I are back in the island until mid-September and I’ve been really looking forward to getting back in Sarnian seas. I ordered a beautiful wooden speargun about 5 weeks ago (Teaksea beam 85) with a 3 week lead time but have just been told it has not been started yet...

I have brought a back up gun, but it’s not got much range, or power, or a reel...And I don’t think it’s going to do the job on a decent bass.

Does anyone have a gun for sale? Looking for something in the 85/90cm range with a reel. Can pay cash.

I’ll be sure to post any catch reports while I’m back over.

Cheers,

Mat

Merry Christmas to all down on islands .To a better new year and some time in the sea .stay safe .

Wrong year though it now is, I can t least write to you at a time when it's the right day for both you and me. So, I wish a Happy Liberation Day to you all!

[Two years past date, but here's hoping this is still checked.]

Happy Liberation Day to my Channel Islands friends. I still think of you, still write my work of fiction based on your home, and I hope you all have a wonderful special day!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT