• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

gun care

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jay S

peashooter
Jun 8, 2005
just got a rob allen 110 and was wondering is there anything i should be doing after a trip like cleaning or something??

All I do is to hose mine down, making sure all the moving parts get a good going over, I dont use any oil or anything, just keep it clean and it works fine :)
Oh and check the rubbers and the line/mono

yep, agree with Naim, just make sure it's washed out, get all the salt out of it, and it will work fine!

Hi guys, I'll extend the thread a little bid.
What do you do to maintain your wooden guns? How often do you re-varnish them?

any time it gets a few scratches off the rocks. Mine came with lin seed oil so I simply wash my hands, pour a bit into my palm then give it a good massage, she loves it when I treat her good after she has taken a beating :)

Oooooooooh now I want to *get wood* so I can rub and polish too.... :p

Just found a few nicks on the bottom of a mahoghany gun that I have and as I was mixing up some West System epoxy for gluing up another gun I slapped some on the nicks - needs a bit o' sanding but should come up like new.

I guess that I could have used oil... and also I think that the finish is 3 coats of epxoy then 2 of yacht varnish (with UV Inhibitors tm) but who has time to do all that when there are fish to have a pop at ? :)

Ed

Jay S,

Following paragraph taken from OMER's speargun manual.

"Although the elastic speargun is made of stainless stell, it should be washed in fresh water at least once a week and then rinsed out throughly with abundant water, including the inernal parts of the triggering deivces, and triggering mechanism should be lubricated regularly with silicon oil. You should also check regularly the state of repair of the joints attachment of the barell, of the heads, of the castles and their pins."

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT