• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gun Tracking/Swinging test - 16 Models !!! Mini to Mega Cannons

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iyadiver

Mr. Long Post
Apr 22, 2002
Hi All of U Spearo,

I am thinking to do guns swinging test for fun. In order to maintain my "Mr Long Post" status...he he he, just kidding.

The swinging test will be a simple test to know which gun will track horizontal and vertical fast. I won't shoot them just swinging and hopefully I load all the bands first so that I can test it like how it is rigged ready to shoot.

Why I want to do this test is because some of you know that I like to experiment. I also think that by having all the guns in the water at the same time, I can judge and compare immediately instead of trying to remember next week how a gun swing felt like last week. If I test, I might as well share the info.

The guns I will be testing are of different thickness and length, I won't be able to compare apple to apple but at least it tells you if a say a 150 cm gun does not neccessarly more difficult to swing than a 130 cm of different brand and so on.

The guns I am trying to test are :

RIFFE - Standard #2 without wing kit 124 cm
Shafts : 7mm Hawaiian, 8mm HW , 8mm Ice Pick and 9.5mm Ice Pick.
Bands : 4 x 9/16"
Type : Teak stock, rear handle

RIFFE - Standard #2 with Riffe Wing Kit 124 cm.
Shafts : Same as above

RIFFE - Standard #4 with Wing Kit at 155 cm
Shafts : 8mm Hawaiian and 9.5mm Ice Pick
Bands : 4 x 5/8"
Type : Teak Stock, rear handle

RIFFE - Standard #4 without Wing Kit ( I'll remove it )
Shafts : Same as above

RIFFE - Hawaiian
Shafts : 8mm with Larger Spearhead
Bands : 3 x 9/16"
Type : Teak Stock, Mid Handle

RIFFE - NO Ka Oi with Riffe Reel
Shafts : 8mm with Ice Pick
Bands : 3 x 5/8"
Type : Teak Stock, Mid Handle

RIFFE - Blue Water, basic no wing kit
If I can borrow one............

COLLINS - Medium Reef Series at 120 cm
Shafts : Original Collins 7mm tri cut Hawaiian, Riffe 8mm Ice Pick.
Bands : 3 x 9/16"
Type : Teak Stock, rear handle

MARES +- 90 cm single band, will confirm model
Shafts : vety thin, will measure. Maybe 6.35 mm
Type : Euro gun, a true rear handle

PICASSO +- 90 cm single band, will confirm model
Shafts : same as above
Type : Euro gun, a true rear handle

MARES - 850 Pneumatic
Shaft : 7mm with screw on twin flooper
Type : Pneumatic, a true rear handle

AB MILLER - Wood one 120cm+, will confirm model
Data to follow

JBL - Woody Magnum , I''ll try to borrow

JBL - 450 XHD Magnum, I'll try to borrow

JBL - Woody 38 Special, I'll try to borrow

JBL - Magnum, mine kapoot, need to borrow.

I'll need to do a lot of typing for this test. If anyone out in the forum are interested to know please post here and tell me. If I get more than 10 replies of interest from 10 different guys, I will post the result, if not I will keep it to myself and not crowd the precious Deeper Blue server storage space because I think the interest is not plenty enough.

I am still figuring out how to do the test without killing myself out of boredom and fatigue loading all the bands. Also,I might use two hands if the gun designed and size require so ? Or two hands for all the guns ? but some Euro gun has no space for the second hand.:confused:

How how how ????? Input on test methods will be appreciated, just don't ask me to shoot all of them for accuracy .........tired man..., I will shoot empty for recoil feel since I must unload it anyway.

IYA

It will be good to hear the result of the this comparision but it will be better if you use some OMER spearguns especially my OMER MB 30/86(Green barrel 86 version of the hawaian skin diver euro gun test`s),OMER Master 2000 86 and 96 and Alluminium 90 plzzzzzzzzzz....I am sure most of guys much more intereseted with OMERs rather than picasso or mares.Just opinion don`t blame me:naughty

Yo Murat,

The problem with the guns are ................ those are the only models/brand I can get hold of. I wish to try more Euro but no one I know who spearfish here own them. I am sure there are owners out there somewhere but I don't know them...........but extremely limited numbers though. Remember, only 3 gun brands available in my city : JBL, Riffe and Mares. JBL are popular cause they been around like 6-7 years and cheap. Riffe been around like 4-5 years or so.

This is only a swinging test, no shooting or whatsoever. Ur Omer and Picasso should be within 90% of each other's swinging feel ( if of same length ) cause Euro guns design is very-very similiar, except the Immersion Pro Concept with that unique frame for the barrel or double shaft Picasso.

As for wooden guns they come in quite different shape of barrels.
The Riffe is like rectangular with rounded bottom. A Collins is like a trapezium ( spelling ??? ) . A JBL Woody is square, just like AB Miller wooden, so they will swing different. Also there are few mid handle Riffe-s, they swing even more different.

Even those guns I mentioned : NEED TO BORROW, are guns which belongs to my friends and I don't see them often, so I need to borrow. Others on the list are with me in my home or in my friend's boat.....technicaly they are all mine to test....anytime.

My friends love to keep guns in my house cause I pamper those guns with love and care............ like the Hawaii and No Ka Oi. The No Ka Oi owner is a Canadian who used to work here, so when he comes down to my country he knows his baby is in good ready to fire condition.

I really am dying to shoot the RA and the Omer....but how ?
Unless u can send urs by telephaty :D :D

IYA

BTW, how come no one on this forum ever post a test of their own gun like the way I do on My Riffe #2 . I mean shoot some kind of target for us to see, sure interesting. Or am I the only nut case around ?? :duh

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT