• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guns! Guns! Guns! OMG!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spaghetti

Campari Survivor
May 31, 2005
I have too many spearguns and this is making me mad.
Trouble is that most of them are partially broken, damaged, need parts to be replaced, need time and money to be spent on them to recover.

The only one working and in PERFECT order is my Seatec Gabby 77. All the others need some sort of repair.

Questions are: should I dump them all? Should I service them all? Give some away? Forget?

Here's a short list:
-Tempest 50 pneumatic needs complete service and a new shaft: 50 Euro's job.
-Medisten pneumatic need complete service after 17 years of honoured duty. 40 Euros' job.
-Comanche 60 needs a new muzzle (the old is destroyed) and bands. A 25 Euro's job.
-Frankengun 65 needs a new handle (heavily damaged). A 50 Euro's job.
-T20 Allu 75 needs bands and shaft: 40 Euro's.
-T20 Carbon Mimetic 100 needs new rail and a reel: 50 Euros'.
-C4 100 took a bad hit on the muzzle and needs to be serviced by C4 factory : price unknown.
-Valerio Grassi T20 86 needs new muzzle, bands and reel: 70 Euros.
-Sporasub Aspic 75 needs new trigger mech, bands and shaft: 55 euro's.
-Omer XXv 90 needs bands: 15 Euros'.
-Seatec Snake 120 needs new bands and shaft: 60 euros.

It's not big money, but a hassle to order all the parts. It's a pity to leave a damaged gun in a corner. But I don't really need all of those guns....

What would you do in my shoes?

Last edited:
Reactions: acevedo joseph
How many hands do you have?

Maybe just keep the two or 3 best, and sell the others?

You may want to build a spearo / freediving club and dish out some guns to the beginners to try. Spearing courses?
The classic guns can be brushed up and in the house hanging on the wall.

Repair one every month, and put them in different places, so where you go you'll always have one near by for when the spear fishing opportunity or urge arises.

Reactions: spaghetti
hello there spagetthi,
give em all girl names and take care of em and make one of those nice weapon walls
greatings len

That's a lot of guns for a guy with only two hands!rofl

I'm pretty happy with the two guns you sent me!:friday now all I need is a new tube of wetsuit glue so I can get back in the water and try them out. :head

I say, sell them all and get yourself something brand new and pretty- like an Airbalete.

Jon

Jon
I've considered to sell some (previous servicing and/or repair).
But wouldn't it be a pity? The Valerio Grassi 86 is 25 years old, the Medisten is 17 years old, my C4 is a vintage model from the very first series of Monoscocca and is a dozen years old too, the Seatec Gabby's are my favourite guns, the Comanche and the Aspic have been with me for 7 years and really provided my table with lots of fresh fish, the XXV/T20 are such reliable hunting tools, and the Tempest 50 well, you ALWAYS need a short pneumatic at hand, don't you?

Not to mention that I could never in my life give away the Hawaiian sling (gift from Jon) and my Aquasub polespear (fond memory of my friend JimDoe2you).

I just CAN'T sell anything....!

My point is: instead of repairing all of those broken guns, wouldn't it be wiser, simpler and quicker to just buy some new ones?

Ps: Joseph, if I ever decide to sell my vintage C4 you'll be the first one to be offered....Promise!

Are you collecting (even just to spark memories) or hunting? Keep'em if yuo are collecting, turn'em if wanting a new toy to hunt with. Sounds to me like you're emotionally attached.

Are you collecting (even just to spark memories) or hunting? Keep'em if yuo are collecting, turn'em if wanting a new toy to hunt with. Sounds to me like you're emotionally attached.

For my hunting, I need two shorts (50 to 65 cm, for hole, weed and very short viz), two middle (70 to 90 for the average hunting) and two long ones (100 to 120)
That's for true, cause in the Mediterranean countries we alternate guns and techniques depending on spots and conditions. Six guns of different length and set up, and I'm fine for any actual situation. More than six is collection. Or addiction...

And so i guess you're right: I'm emotionally attached. But is it a sin? :t

Hi Spaghetti.

It will be much better for you if you just give these things to me. I'm really special, and anything nice you do for me will not only bring you good luck, but will make you a better person for ever, and ever, and ever.

Reactions: Kars
But. . . but. . . Fondueset, you don't spearfish! All those guns would be very unhappy gathering dust on your wall, not to mention what your wife would think.

Connor

Ah! I beg to differ.
recent scientific developments involving carp preparation and DNR funding have resulted in ...uh...some changes. But this is not truly relevant to poor Spaghetti's dire need to rid himself of his horrible burden of fun things in need of repair. What could be worse? Nothing, I think.

Last edited:
Collecting and emotional attachment is fine--especially if wifie allows them to be displayed. However when guns and gear make walking around in the house difficult you are into hoarding and we must have professional intervention. For a nominal fee, an airline ticket, promise of introducing me to all the local fine eateries (wine included) and permitting me to permanently impound your collection I would be willing ot come assist you in overcoming your hoarding tendancies. Then I could bring home your stuff and pile it on to MY stuff and thereby complete my collection--for a few days. :t

Al, do you come in your black executioner pyjama's flashing your kevelar battle suit, assault rifle and some Texan roughneck language to make an unforgettable first impression on the unsuspecting family as you enter 03:00 in the morning?

Reactions: agbiv
Hear Hear!
It seems that, by a means or another, by force or by subtle persuasion, every dog and his mother in here wants to take my guns away, eh? :martial
Know something? I'll lock 'em up!

Only Fondueset is likely to get some for bargain. I ran out of Petoskey stones!!!

Al, do you come in your black executioner pyjama's flashing your kevelar battle suit, assault rifle and some Texan roughneck language to make an unforgettable first impression on the unsuspecting family as you enter 03:00 in the morning?

At 3 in the morning? Surprise me? He'd find me awake lubing my reels (no pun intended)

Just hope I don't have to enter in a white biohazard suit. :blackeye 3 AM is much too early. Coffee is not on and the lighting isn't optiml for the TV cameras.

Kars: Black is not the choice of REDNECK bubba's!:naughty If I chose that mode it would be Realtree cammo, carrying a Lonestar beer and a 'gator noose.:martialroflrofl

please put me in line behind Joe if you ever want to sell the early C4 Monoscocco.:inlove That Joe is no dammed good and only wants to do bad things to fish with a pointy spear.

Cheers, Don

Thanks for warning me. I've always suspected of something fishy about "That Joe"....:

For your curiosity, here's in pics below the early C4 Mono proudly owned by yours truly:

Attachments

• mono1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 153
  • mono5.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 159
  • mono3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 147
  • mono2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 154
oooooooohhhhhhhhh nice spago. I have many reasons why those old guns should be sent down to Chile. Helping out a third World nation sound OK? How about those poor fishermen who lost all their gear in the earthquake?

I make a solid case, but my intentions are not good. Hear me not

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…