• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guns! Guns! Guns! OMG!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks for posting up the nice pictures.... I have to have one some day.:friday

Cheers, Don

Given time I will explain why Michigan qualifies as a Third-world country.
But not right now.
Right now I will just say that we have more water than practically anyone and that it is incredibly clear.

In this photo, taken two days ago, we see my friend Josh being mocked by fat, lazy, lake trout which, seeing we had no spearguns, lay around on the bottom rolling their eyes at us.

Poor Josh was nearly inconsolable; his mask half-filled with tears...

IMG_2576.jpg

only a certain italian would put a gabbianno line release on a C4! I say hand them out Spago and buy some new ones, only keep the ones that either hold sentimental value or fit in the "they dont make them like that anymore" category...

we have more water than practically anyone and that it is incredibly clear.

In this photo, taken two days ago, we see my friend Josh being mocked by fat, lazy, lake trout which, seeing we had no spearguns, lay around on the bottom rolling their eyes at us.

Poor Josh was nearly inconsolable; his mask half-filled with tears...

IMG_2576.jpg

With all of that water (and incredibly clear) methinks Josh will need at least one my 100's.......

And I would be more than happy to possibly lend him one of yours, which I am sure have special powers-Italiano.

But there is also this:

IMG_2572.jpg

And I would be more than happy to possibly lend him one of yours, which I am sure have special powers-Italiano.

But there is also this:

IMG_2572.jpg
What a cool image, I dove Lake Taupo in NZ years ago with a camera
only and had a blast.The old fly fisherman in my soul would never let me think gun. I could be happy to watch them all day. Thanks for sharing mate.

Cheers, Don Paul

But there is also this:

IMG_2572.jpg

Looks like with patience and skill you only need to plan your approach carefully and grab the fish by the tail with your hand! :inlove

They were extremely edgy - but if you carefully approached from their 6 o'clock you could actually grab their tails. Truth be told, Lake Trout are not particularly good eating. In fact I know people who prefer carp - though I've yet to try it.

Don - I think it's actually harder to stalk fish with a camera. I know the fish here are more bothered by a camera than a gun. I've got a lot of good shots on my site - stop by if you get the chance. www.michiganfreediving.com

IMG_2574.jpg

Last edited:
I've taught scuba classes out in Lake Michigan before when they were coming in to spawn- and then die. You could grab a 20+ pounder as it swam by and just hand it to a student to let them pet it. Nothing gets a new diver stoked more than petting big fish like a its a puppy. rofl

Other times I've watched them circle a huge school of alewives and then come zooming in and take a mouthful. You'd think you were diving in an ocean, but it was all in the lake. Some of those schools can get 30' high and go on forever.

Meanwhile, back in the inland lakes everything looks like a wasteland. :(

Jon

Reactions: Kars
Hey Jon,

Some of the Trout did look a little rough - but most were in fine shape and really edgy. It was hard to get within 20 feet of them unless we were directly astern.

It's been awhile since I've been in one of those 'bait balls' out in the big lake - they are aweseome - I remember once they formed a sphere around me and blotted out the sun! This is a Walleye with a roof of alewives.

IMG_1155.jpg

Reactions: agbiv
you could try getting a bit handy and making some of your own muzzles and rubbers to save a couple of Euros and get a few of them going a bit cheaper, would probably be better if you didn't let so many get out of action at Once.
saying this of my own guns one I gave a way 2 more loaned out another I lost a shaft for and one just working but trigger is a bit sus ?

Poacher you might be right that making my own guns would fix my "problem". But hey, I'm not a carpenter and there's NO woodworker that I know who has still all the ten fingers he was born with....

I cut my bands from bulk rubber, and have modified some closed muzzles to open muzzles by myself only using a steak knife from the kitchen and a sheet of sandpaper (miracle I didn't loose a limb). And anyway, my DIY skills end with that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT