• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gws

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fly

Dec 10, 2004
Teen killed in Adelaide shark attack ;

A young man is dead after being attacked by sharks off Adelaide's metropolitan coast, in the second fatal shark attack in Australia in a week.

Police say the 18-year-old from Yorke Peninsula was wave riding with three friends about 300 metres offshore from the Henley Beach Yacht Club.

It is believed the teenager was riding on a surfboard behind a boat when two sharks started circling him at around 3:15pm ACST.

The teen's three friends then watched helplessly as one of the sharks grabbed him by the arm. They made it back to shore and have been treated for shock. The surfboard the teen was riding was found.

A large scale search continues off West Beach and nearby beaches to the north and south involving the sea rescue squadron, water police, Surf Life Saving SA and the pilot launch.

Police are yet to confirm if material found off West Beach are the remains of the teen.

Police say pathologists are examining items found both in the water and on the beach by search patrols, but will not say if it is believed to be human remains.

The victim's friends have told police they witnessed him being taken by two sharks, thought to be white pointers.

The attack occurred just three weeks after two large white pointer sharks were seen by aerial beach patrols.

Fraser Bell from South Australia's sea rescue says a white pointer over five metres long was spotted by search planes at around 5:00pm.

"[It was spotted] approximately 300 metres further north up the beach from where this happened and this shark was very, very close in, something like six metres off the beach," he said.

Police say no decision has yet been taken on whether a search will be conducted for the shark or sharks involved in the attack.

The fisheries director is declining to comment about the attack, saying that will have to wait until Friday when he has received a full report.

After initially clearing nearby beaches, some swimmers were back in the water late this afternoon. They were advised to swim in patrolled areas.

The attack is the first fatal one off Adelaide's metropolitan coast in 19 years, since a scallop diver was taken near Brighton.

A 38-year-old died after he was mauled by a shark while spearfishing off the far north-east coast of Queensland last weekend.

That time of year again in the southern hemisphere but this seems to be happening alot lately hope the trends dont continue!!!!

JEEEEEEEEEZ

that is scary :(

Poor guys in the boat must have felt so helpless.

Diving in those waters is a real extreme pastime

Feel bad for the guys in the boat, not to mention the dude who was taken by the sharks.. I would hate to have sharks around and no mask snorkel and my gun.. just the thought of having visibility underwater would make me feel better..
God Bless the family of the victim..

Pekka

The father of the victim is campaining to save the shark from being hunted down and killed, instead he wants the shark tagged with a small GPS beacon so they can track the sharks movements.

That's a bitter pill to swallow but shows understanding on behalf of the parents.. it's the risk we take, diving in shark infested waters. :crutch

Bless the parents for still taking the decision to have the shark tracked and monitored, and not killed.

Attachments

• FishHoekBus_1.jpg
    FishHoekBus_1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 149
A mate of mine went down a local beach today, jumped out his car, donned on his gear, made the 500 meter walk in 37 degree celcius heat in a 5 mil wetty, got to the water found a seal with missing parts (most of it) thought bugger this turned around and made the walk back to the car :girlie JAWS fever's gripping the boys around here :D Dont they understand they have more chance of death by a coconut falling on their heads than being eaten by JAWS ha ha ha!!! and the last coconut tree's 1000 kilometers north of here!!! :t HA HA hA HA !!! crayzeeeeeee!!!! think it's time for an extended :friday think I'll have another Tequila tobasco slammer and make an excuse not to go diving tomorrow cheers :D

it us very sad
i pass the Lebenon war in 89 90 i have seen death but in sach a way of the natures
most stong and big fish...
i feel for the boys on the boat the traomatic secends and the families...

im sorry that im responding this item , having avatar like main
boy rest in peace

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT