• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

H.Dessault Gear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Managed to take some more pictures of the Quattro guns.

Showing the safety catch at the back of the handle,built in rail and muzzle which allows both screw type bands and a single band.

90cm Carbon / 75cm Ali

Also took some pictures of the spear tips.

The 75cm has a very large triangular tip and the 2 spears for the 90cm gun have nice rounded tips which i prefer.

The spear with the twin barbs is a Seatec spear.

As you can see i have purchased some barb o'rings.

Mares ones that cost me £8.55 including postage for 20.

The Omer ones were £0.85ea plus shipping:confused:

I will report on how i get on with them as the season rolls on.

Attachments

• 100_0670.jpg
    100_0670.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_0669.jpg
    100_0669.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_0671.jpg
    100_0671.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_0668.jpg
    100_0668.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 181
Wow recommendation's from Don Paul and Spaghetti:)

I knew i was buying the right kit:)

Err...ehm...
Don Paul has made and is still making the history of spearfishing, while the so called Spaghetti is just an amateur ethusiast like many others. This had to be said.

As for the best gun better gun XXV Gold/vs Quatro Carbone dispute:
I know, oh yes I know from my secret service connections that Glowworm will soon (not too soon, but pretty soon) leave us all astonished with something waaaaaay truly unpredictable about the new gun subject...something "rare and unique"....:mute

Last edited:
Reactions: glowworm and Adrian
All in good time Spaghetti my friend all in good time.;)

The Quattro Carbone will always stay though:inlove

Nice guns glowworm. However they reflect the standard euro 90 set up of 130cm x 6.5mm spear and 28mm diameter stock/barrel. Not withstanding they are well made, latest tech, carbon etc and even with tabbed spears.

The Omer XXV Gold is a slightly different fish so to speak. The spear is 125cm x 6.3mm and the barrel is 25mm diameter thick wall carbon. Also the front end is very small/narrow with a clever adaptor if you want to use screw ins.

What difference does all this make? Well the gun has an unbelievably small side section and "head" making it the easiest tracking euro 90 bar none. It is a very light and quick gun, yet it still launches the thin spear at very high speed with the standard 18mm Omer band. It's got a very flat trajectory. It's a point and shoot gun, perfect for quick shots at small fish in poor to medium vis.

Down side is it shouldn't work but somehow it does. The recoil should be too high and the spearflex too much making it "couldn't hit a barn door gun". Not so. It's a sniper rifle at longer ranges. All that said, you need to get the hang of it and it does take a bit of handling.

Then despite all the above there's always room for improvement. See below pic's and this thread http://forums.deeperblue.com/euro-spearguns/83433-euro-tabbed-spears.html#post773827 .

Dave.

Attachments

• xxv3.jpg
    xxv3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 225
  • xxv1.jpg
    xxv1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 204
  • xxv2.jpg
    xxv2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 196
  • xxv4.jpg
    xxv4.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 213
Could be a woodie but I doubt it, something carbon?

Last edited:
Err...ehm...
Don Paul has made and is still making the history of spearfishing, while the so called Spaghetti is just an amateur ethusiast like many others. This had to be said. Quote: Spaghetti.

I will still be designing and building my own guns and hunting for my table.
I truly believe my apogee in spearfishing has been reached. As the 57 year old father of a wonderful 10 year old son, I now dream of little League baseball, and his big smile when we catch a fish together.

I am addicted to the sea and the health she affords me.
Thank you for your kind words Spaghetti.
Grazie,

I'm guessing he's having a handbuilt woodie.:inlove

That's what I'd do if I had the money.

He’s not getting on my boat if he’s got his woodie in his hand...!:blackeyeroflrofl

Strangelove the barb o rings i purchased were from Mares.

They are small but very stretchy.

I havn't tried putting them on with gloves yet.

Alot cheaper here than the Omer ones:)

Reactions: strangelove
Strangelove the barb o rings i purchased were from Mares.

They are small but very stretchy.

I havn't tried putting them on with gloves yet.

Alot cheaper here than the Omer ones:)

I've heard that you can use the small elastic bands that folks use on dental braces. They cost sweet FA so I've heard and work just as well.

Reactions: strangelove
I have tried all sorts of o'rings and rubber bands but they always seemed to fall off or break.

what is the advantage, you are after? hydrodynamics? if thats it, wouldnt putting the flopper on top of the spear instead of the bottom do the same thing with no rubber bands? i have long thought that the hydrodynamic properties are better with a "tahitian
" style flopper configuration ,(on top), but if you WERE to use little bands, you definately need to look into the rubber bands for dental braces ,(someone mentioned it earlier.) they have different sizes for children etc. and they are cheap! they use them in usa for sure , so check us suppliers maybe. btw: i like your cf gun

back to original, dessault gear thread, and sorry for peeing on someones bonfire here, but I have the non-carbon 75 with matching reel. It is not a very good gun IMHO:

- the coated tube is too thick, hard to use in cross-currents
- my trigger/ safety exploded on a dive, first time I have ever aborted a dive day due to a bad gun. The solution was to entirely disassemble and permanently remove safety.
- the reel is flimsier that a fisher-price toy
- the guide in the barrel and muzzle was 3mm off, i had to re-grind it to line up
- the spears bend easily (they are that brownish steel, no, not hardened, but is some kinda rust prevention)
- it just feels cheap
- i can't hit much with it (probably lack of love on my part)

Sorry, just some external opinion, use at your own risk ;)

Reactions: glowworm
back to original, dessault gear thread, and sorry for peeing on someones bonfire here, but I have the non-carbon 75 with matching reel. It is not a very good gun IMHO:

- the coated tube is too thick, hard to use in cross-currents

I can't comment on the other issues you had, but the coated tube:
it is just as thick as the Sporasub Viper (previous gun designed by Hugues Dessault when he was chief designer at Sporasub). And you can't make yourself an idea of how many fish have been speared with Vipers. I've used that gun for years myself and hit lots and lots of fish.

I see your point, though, that guns with a sleek profile are obviously easier to use in strong current.

But Hugues Dessault has designed many milestones in the history of speargear design (samourai mask, HD footpockets, best sellers all the way) and never put his signature under a "wrong" product. They're just what they are for what it gets, so to speak.

thanks spago, good to see you shouting up for non-Italian products ;) the diameter difference is very small. The non-covered (and noisy) cayman ally is about 28mm the Dessault is 28MM + 1mm thick coating all round offering 30mm - hardly anything, it just "seems" stockier.

I guess its more of a love thing.

Reactions: spaghetti
thanks spago, good to see you shouting up for non-Italian products ;) the diameter difference is very small. The non-covered (and noisy) cayman ally is about 28mm the Dessault is 28MM + 1mm thick coating all round offering 30mm - hardly anything, it just "seems" stockier.

I guess its more of a love thing.

Incredible indeed: me standing up for French stuff? :confused:
It must be the fries I've had for dinner...rofl

Reactions: azapa
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT