• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hail to the King!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rolando

Jun 16, 2003
Had the pleasure to go out on my little skiff (18 footer) with some great divers and all-around good guys. I was joined by Cameron Kirkconnel, JC (Spearoo), and yes the infamous Dr. Aquiles Mas. Cam was in town and I wanted to give him a taste of our so-called "fished out" Miami waters.

I took an unapproved hiatus from the office and headed out with the gang around 11am. The conditions were suboptimal with a very cold thermocline, which seemed to have moved alot of the bottom fish, poor viz [well at least for our standards (20-25 feet)], and some chops and big sharks up and about.

We all shot it up pretty good and the vacancy in the cooler was nearly non-existent after several hours. Then the highlight of the day occured. We had found a decent spot near the drop-off and decided to stay regardless of Ol' 10-foot Hammie lingering about like an unwanted salesman. The spot paid dividends in a hurry. Cam yelled something...buoy speeds by me...and the chase is on. Did not really know at the time what was at the end of the gun and what was making a 7 liter RA buoy drop below mid-water and out of our visibility.

"Give me your gun! Uncocked! Uncocked!" At first, I had no idea why he would want my gun and uncocked no less, especially with Ol' Hammie in the vicinity....well after about a mile chase I finally saw why. A smoker or King Mackeral to be exact was yearning to escape, but no chance. The second Rabitech shaft did him in and he was controlled shortly thereafter. Cam nailed a 59lbs King Mackeral shattering both previous world-records. It was great to be in the water witnessing this event and I'm sure Aquiles feels the same. It was JC's turn to drive and he did an outstanding job, considering we were anchored and just "specs on the horizon" when he finally started the boat and headed our way.

The King was certified and the record is now pending. It was a day we will never forget. Days such as Tuesday is what keeps us returning to the ocean. The "suspense of the unexpected" and the comraderie of a few guys getting together to share their passion is priceless and unforgetting. We are all grateful for such a day and we pay our respects to the marvelous fish that made the day one we will soon not forget.

Enjoy the pics,

Rolo

Attachments

• camking1.jpg
    camking1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Last Pic....

Aquiles handling the camera....nice shot!

BTW, Cam is 6'4".

Attachments

• uw kingie2.jpg
    uw kingie2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 545
Originally posted by fuzz
What was the old record? :confused:

I wouldn't call them "old" just yet. One never knows.

IUSA: 47 lbs
IBSRC: 53 lbs

Alison,

We celebrated on the boat on the ride back with some ice-cold bottled refreshments:D . After, cleaning chores, fish fileting, and drive back home after hours of diving, all we wanted was a warm bed and a good night's sleep.

Nice fish Rolando!!

That had to of been one hell of a time.
Looking forward to hearing how the record comes out....

Good hunting,
Justin

the mack daddy....

I don't think Ill be able t thank rolando enough for the chance to play small part in this great capture.This is proof that persistance pays. Of all the places in the world Cam has been, He shot this monster next to a huge metropolis on an 18 ft boat in 40ft of water, while on his day off from school. Who would have known, we sure as hell were very surprised:D .
I like this shot alot.
like Rolando said Cam is 6"4'.

Attachments

• cam2.jpg
    cam2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 469
Originally posted by Rolando
We celebrated on the boat on the ride back with some ice-cold bottled refreshments:D . After, cleaning chores, fish fileting, and drive back home after hours of diving, all we wanted was a warm bed and a good night's sleep.

I hope you didnt fillet the King :duh I cant imagine cutting out the inards of a record fish!!! What kind of fool would do that????

And if anyone points a finger!!!!!

What kind of prat am I???:mute

fillets

No, we filleted all the other fish we shot that day at the dock, and the king stayed in a whole piece till we got him to a certified scale the next morning ,then staked it and donated it to cam's school, about the only thing we could do with soo much fish...By the time the we did get it to the scale it had already lost a good amount of weigth since it was way to big for the 150qt cooler, and dried out but we were never worried since we knew it was well beyond the current record....

Congratulations, great story, great fish and great photos, I dont think you can put a price on days like that, wish I'd been there to see it all,

David

What a moment!!!

Congratualtions on your record and may it not be the last. :D

Congratulations guys!
Very nice fish and a nice diving story for sure! Man I miss spearfishing!!

Cheers

Roberto

Hehehehe! What a blast it was. I can't wait to jump in the water again. What a great crew of the Cuban Comet. Rolando(Captain)
JC (First mate) Cameron (all out killer) Aquiles ( Shotgun and photographer). Keep up the good work boys

Cheers and beers to all

Aquiles

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT