• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Halibut in Washington/BC

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

onfish

Jun 27, 2022
Is it realistic to freedive for halibut in Southern BC/Washington? As in could an intermediate freediver be able to get a smaller one (10-20lbs) at least every few years?
Assuming you're targeting them when they come in shallower in the spring-summer, what depths would be necessary to dive to? And is it possible from a shore dive or is a boat necessary?

Reactions: Mr. X
I've not heard of halibut around Washington state (where I once lived) or BC, which I visited several times. But I didn't spearfish back then.

I think the well known Dan Mann youtube videos were shot off Norway(??). All of mainland USA is apparently south of UK/England. And UK is south of Norway. So you may need to go quite a bit further north? :(

Also, are halibut found in Pacific? They are in the Atlantic but much less so than in the past. So you may also need to go much further east too. :(

Not sure though. Locals can probably provide better info. Good luck . ;)

I spearfish here in BC since 2012, haven’t shot sizeable halibut yet. One spot where I know there is halibut, is crowded by orcas. I shot a few juvenile there at that spot but close to shore. Mistaken them for flounder, so there must be bigger fish right there where orcas puffing. Other places, where locals (first nation) fish halibut, is not very deep and would be interesting, but you need a boat to get there. Will not be an easy hunt though. They use long lines with god knows how many hooks, but all they are getting is handful, 2-3 fish, maybe 4.

Also, you realize how big BC is? I know of places to check for halibut, but I myself can’t find time, because this would be an expedition, not a trip. Keep in mind, shore is big, but mostly not accessible. Picture long drives on logging roads through mountains, coupled with hiking. If you are on a safari mission to score a halibut, to make it a sure shot mission, better get a boat and a fishing guide. I would get in touch with fishing resorts, they know their business.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT