• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Halibut size?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Cingene,
The Northern Monster I was thinking about was a 500 lb. female . . . Pacific Halibut. :D

Dana Point is even farther south than I am but not all the way to Ocean Swimmer. Figure Santa Barbara, Ventura, Oxnard, Malibu, Palos Verdes, "the south bay" then OC including Dana Point and finally San Diego County and Mexico. And the traffic is sheer Hell.

Sigh, I used to live on Monterrey Bay. I was stationed at Ft. Ord (now CSU Monterrey Bay). I remember the long summer days, Fisherman's Wharf, the Three Rings Bookstore, squid and chips with cold beer . . . sigh. Good times those, good times. And the girls were prettier then!

Ramstan, yeah, I get 1 5/8" = 22" length, too. Hmmmm, does that mean that if you bend out the tips of a paralyzer head to that measurement, you can ease up, check the eye space and let'em have it?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Alison
rofl Underwater rod and line fishing!! rofl

We need pics of this
PLEEEEEEEESE :D

umm... that's what we do here while waiting for spearfishing season to come in. the law doesn't say you have to catch them on hook and line above the water :)

BTW, there is only 3 months out of the year we can't spearfish (spawning season). so it isn't too bad of a wait, but a heck of a lot of funny getting a good (probably small to ya'll) size fish and fight them under water :D

Reactions: Oldsarge
no, you guys are spearing the same species...pacific halibut (aka alaskan) DO occur in monterey bay area but are rare, and the legal size is 3 feet with a limit of one...the only way to measure a halibut underwater is by KNOWING that its big enough, its definitely an acquired sense in that split second before you squeeze the trigger. it helps to have your gun marked though

Alright Spiderman...how do you acquire that spider sense then...:hmm ...do we just keep shooting until we get a "feel for it"?

This is the daftest idea but it has to be mentioned. Try cutting out a Halibut shaped blank out of vinyl flooring stick some weight to it, dump it on the sea bed and swim round it for a few hours, until you gain your spider sense ;) you can even cover it with sand some too. When youve finnished use it for target practice and take it home for the rubbish :)
OK its the daftest idea but if I tried to act my age then I wouldnt be me :D

Spidergirl

Last edited:
Hey good one Miss Alison...I could also get a cut out diver and put it all in my living room and pretend I am under the ocean...and then....rofl

Just kidding Miss Alison...actually that would be a good idea except all those boys scouts would be wondering what you've described on your post...(that man is daffy) ...ha ha. I will have to try it at an abandoned beach somewhere not close by.

Ah yes the embarassment factor :eek:
You could always wrap it round your gun barrel untill your out of sight rofl

That not a bad idea Alison. I have been planning on making some foam targets in 12 and 28 inches as well(the other"important"sizes to know in socal) I might also go ahead and paint on a bullseye in the stone zone. Seems like a good idea to pracice size regonition and target practice at the same time.

Reactions: Cingene
If you live where both Pacific and California halibut are around, they can be told apart by their profile pretty easily- Pacifics (min. 32" in Cal.) have a diamond shape, with peaks on the fins...Cali's (min. 22" in Cal.) have that oval shape. 'Course that's assuming you can make out their profile. I've only seen Cali's down here in San Diego, and I just don't pull the trigger unless there's no question it's legal. If I can only see part and can't determine its size, I just sit there and wait, sometimes they shift positions or flutter sand around and then you can tell. If that fails I get closer and try to gently rouse them off the ground and wait for them to settle again.
Sure would like to bag one of those Pacific barn-doors someday, hook-n-line or otherwise.

Last edited:
if size is a question it's not big enough

My buddies and I always go by the rule if you're not sure don't shoot it. This way there won't be any shorts being needlessly killed and you'll only come home with quality fish.

Reactions: Oldsarge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT