• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hammerhead Evolution

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks BeamJoel (any relation to Jim Beam or Jack Daniels?!).
Mr.X is your RA so bad that you have to replace the trigger mech? I did not think it would get that serious! I hope the warranty covers your expenses. GL

As to what you stated above ^ I agree I don't know if it has to do with pubbles of sand getting into the trigger mech however, I do know the feeling of trying to jam your shaft in the housing so it will catch. I furiously tried when it happend to me and it didn't catch for some reason. The water was super clear and unlike your conditions it was in the ocen so little to no sand was present in the water. I don't know what I did exactly that fixed the problem luckly it hasn't happend again.

From that point on I engraved in my head not to load the gun close to any one or in there directions.

Funny because I too would like to know if I can fit a Rabitech but to an RA barrel.
Yes, it did require a new mech but it is very easy to change. I created a new thread about how to do this and my experience just this morning, you should probably read it. I also included picture of the new (improved) mech, & the old one dismantled. Rob Allen stand behind their products and immediately offered a replacement mech. (you can also buy them too). RA gear is warranted for 5 years, which is good considering the conditions it operates in, although I think people would be disappointed in spearing gear that didn't last that long (Wong famously provides a lifetime warranty I believe, even to subsequent owners -- it's easy to overlook that type of service & commitment when purchasing but you certainly become aware of it when something goes wrong).

Foxfish has some Rabitech handles. Sounds like you just need a new trigger mech, the Vector handle is very nice after all. The newer mechs. should last a lot longer. I'm surprised none of the other spearo's have mentioned changing the cassette before - perhaps their water is less gritty or maybe they just buy a new gun (much cheaper in SA I believe) or drop into the factory for a service (like Miles!).

Last edited:
:inlove Saw a Hammerhead Evolution at the local shop, and was bewitched by its siren call. That'll be my next major expenditure, after the new Elios.

One more thing on the RA loading issue. I believe that is due to the plastic bit at the front (which resets the spear-line release hook) failing to fall back into place under gravity. This gets worse with wear as the surface can become fluffy (although I could not see this) as the fibres used break through the surface. Simply holding the gun out straight so that gravity can do its work unencumbered by friction/stiction might be enough to sort it out, or give it a tap against something. The newer mech has an extra spring [see my link above to see pictures] to flip it back into place. It might even be possible to fit a spring to the original mech (although it looks like they've altered the piece a little to fit the spring). Fitting an stainless steel line release hook (an RA accessory) might also help, being heavier & metal it might be more inclined to fall back into place under gravity & would not fur up.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT