• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Hands free equalizing" Mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Walrus

Oz freediver
Oct 3, 2001
Sorry, no don't have one, just wondering why manufacturers that produce specialty low volume masks for freediving can't make one ?

I thought of this a long time ago, as I'm sure a lot of other divers have. How hard would it be to build in a Nose clip into a mask, with an external lever or button that opens the clip ?

Ie. the nose clip is normally closed, then to equalise the mask you could just press the "release" button. Then you would only need to use your hand a few times on the way down to equalise the mask, not your ears.

I don't think it would be that difficult or costly, maybe someone had already made one ?
Anyone tried this ?

I've heard about the "nose plugs" in the bottom of the mask that Terry Maas uses, but don't know if that would work for everyone.

If Eric Fattah's fluid goggles were cheaper then this would probably be even better.

Just thought of this one, with such a mask, if you wanted to be really tricky, couldn't you make use of the mask squeze at depth and use this to open the nose clip ?
Calling all Mechanical engineers out there ?!

Anderson you studmeister! I've hmm-ing and haw-ing about putting up a thread for this...

Actually I have be in comm with Bill here about molding some plugs into the nose pocket of my OMER, ala that recommended by Terry Maas. I've got a problem with having a couple of posts or marbles up my beak, comfort-wise, so am thinking about bonding a couple of neoprene mounds in their that will conform to block off the nostrils.

But damn, it seems like it's be easy, on the surface,rofl, uh, to incorprate a sring clip or have a wire molded into the nose pocket that would retain the pinched shape once you put it on and pinch. Hmmm.

Maybe I could do this while I try to resurrect Farallon's snorkel, which I'M STILL LOOING FOR, EVERYBODY!!! (subtle guilt-assigning smilie face)

SB-wise, I'm hoping for the last week in April and will keep you up on the whens as soon as I know.

sven

i'm conversing w/ erik on the hands free thingamajigee patent. i think i have a great idea on how to do it. want in?

last week in april sounds good. i think i'll have to fly into LAX. ehh? only been to cali once, and that was 10 years ago.

later
anderson

uh, yeah I'm in!!

Hell yes I'm in- I'm a patent machine! (I've 3.) pm me or email.

Denver direct to SB on Delta.

sven

hands free...mask

I have a about 10years old "eye-ful" mask, which is just like omer low-wolume mask, and If I want to equalize without hands I just adjust the straps so tight that the mask squeezes against my face so that I can equalize without hands.
But when the mask is pushed hard on your face it is hard to equalize the mask, but with help of one hand can be done easily, besides the volume to start with is smaller...;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT