• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hannibal Bank Spearfishing Report - PANAMA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Panama

May 31, 2010
Over a year of preparation has been well worth it! Camp has been made on Montuosa island and we are now perfectly located for some serious blue water action.

Montuosa is an island located 55 miles off of the Gulf of Chiriqui, Panama. The Gulf of Chiriqui is known by anglers as a world class fishing destination due to Hannibal Bank. Hannibal Bank is located wedged between the Montuosa island and the largest marine preservation park in all of Central America, Coiba National Park. Large pelagic species are attracted to Hannibal Bank due to its depth that ranges from 120 feet to a sudden drop of over 3,000 feet. Spearfishing is allowed at this location, but with special permits and knowledge of spearfishing laws. Mainly we hunt large Yellowfin out at Hannibal Bank.

This past week a we had some excellent divers from Southern California. We hit Hannibal Bank and within 3 days they had pulled in 11 impressive Yellowfin Tuna. This excursion wasn't easy and it has taken a lot of collaborative effort, but it is well worth the adventure!

Look for updates over the next few months.

hannibal-bank-2.jpg

montuosa-camp-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Nice coconut shield mate, that is a dream trip for me some day. Thanks for the up date,

Cheers, Don Paul

Super pics :). Are those little personal tents (Black Diamond/Biblier I-tents?), neat.
[I expect the Panama option will be most popular with (missing) British canoe/kayak spearos :D]

Those look like some very interesting holidays. Looks like you'd need serious bluewater kit for those fish - woodie tuna gun or maybe big SA-style railgun (120-140cm, 2x16mm?).

Last edited:
That is an impressive fish!
So when’s the next update coming? Got any more photo’s as the good as the first?
Don’t leave us all in suspense for to long now.

Thanks for adding more images, very nice fish mate. Were you with Eric and Joe ?

Cheers, Don

Yeah, we setup their trip. Great guys! The first two pictures are of Pete, the guide. That week we had a diver from Belgium and the states.

Currently there is a group from Mexico on Montuosa. We'll have an update in a few days.

Yeah, we setup their trip. Great guys! The first two pictures are of Pete, the guide. That week we had a diver from Belgium and the states.

Currently there is a group from Mexico on Montuosa. We'll have an update in a few days.

Thanks, Yeah I just recognized that Andre gun from Connecticut.
I heard nothing but great reports of how hard Peter went to give the guys a great trip of a life time with all the bases covered. Bravo to your team and camp.:friday

Cheers, Don

Thanks, Yeah I just recognized that Andre gun from Connecticut.
I heard nothing but great reports of how hard Peter went to give the guys a great trip of a life time with all the bases covered. Bravo to your team and camp.:friday

Cheers, Don

Yeah, Pete does a great job! He loves the adventure and I'm glad I gave the right guy the opportunity to be out there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT