• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hard or soft blade?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kirehe

Apr 28, 2002
Which is best: a hard or soft fin? which is best for which circumstances? I have heard contradictory things, that hard is good for both shallow and deep diving, and the same for soft fins too... confusing.

which is it really?

ERIK

Hi , Erik .
This is another question that depends heavily on personal preferences . IMHO there is no specific right or wrong .
Factors would include what you want to use the fins for ;personal experience/fitness ; swimming style ect.
I like a fairly stiff blade , use OMER Tuna Competition . Gives me good acceleration when I sprint after a fish and makes me feel I'm really MOVING when I return to the surface after a deep dive .
Others will probably claim similar results with softer blades ...:D

No disagreement here. Stiff, actually a broken in stiff works for me, but you gotta have the legs and technique, as in time to develop both. OMER Millenium Competitions when I get lucky enough to dive warm water where I can get by with 3mm socks and Esclapez open heel jobs for the usual 5mm boots that the 47-52F wtaers and my big feet dictate.

sven

depends on how much you use them

If you use the fins often, you will be able to swim with harder finblades, due to better fitness of the leg mussels.

For most uses, it is probably better to have too soft fins than too hard.

Try your diving buddys fins before buying your own.

...hmm... I thought umpberto used the c4 40 blade, the stiffest one. so are you saying he used the 25 blade?

Maybe someone of these guys knows which blades Umberto used during his record.AS you may have seen Umberto has a relatively "big" kick when he fins up to the surface so it is more logical that he uses the softer ones

Umberto used C4 80's.

I don't know what they are like in terms of stiffness, they are longer then the 40's. A longer fin pushes more water so has more 'resistance'. So in that context they would be quite a stiff fin, even if they are a bit softer then the 40's.

Read on a french website somewhere that the 80's are only good for larger divers, something like 180cm+

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT