• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Has anyone experience with a snapped rubber while loading?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

John Marr

Aug 1, 2007
Hello,
this has been on my mind quite a while and I hope to clear some of my worries.
Even though it never happened to me so far, I was wondering if anyone here ever experienced a snapped rubber while loading.
I am always a bit concerned, when I load the rubbers up to the max position and have the gun resting on my sternum what would happen if the rubber snapped.
Maybe its complete harmless?
i usually check my rubber s meticulously and the only issue I once had was a terminal slipping out of the rubber while loading, which just gave me a light scratch on a hand.
Any reassurance appreciated :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Lots of times and I agree with Bill.

Don't load your gun till you are in the water..

Its being done frequently in Southern California the last few years. We've been having runs of bluefin tuna up to 300 pounds. It takes a very big gun with multiple bands to penetrate one. The usual scenario is that you see a school blasting bait on the surface or you see them under the boat on then depth sounder. If you jump in and load a gun it's almost always too late- they're gone. So everyone drives around with the guns already loaded so they can jump in and dive immediately. I'm not as concerned with having loaded guns in the boat as I am the act of loading. Its at least possible to keep guns pointed into the air so that no one is speared if they go off but if they go off while being loaded its very bad. A well known manufacturer or high end floats was loading in the boat a couple of years ago when the sear broke and the gun rammed into his abdomen. He was momentarily unconscious but came too and insisted he was OK. The other guys insisted on heading for shore and taking him to the emergency room. The doctors said he was about thirty minutes from death due to internal bleeding but they saved him. A few years ago read about a gun dying from the same sort of thing in Cabo San Lucas. This just one reason I'm not going to shoot a tuna.

Yep. I had been aware of a case in Greece where a guy got shot in the head.
The official version was that a safety malfunctioned when he slipped... go figure.
Also blue water ( maybe Tuna ) hunting.
He did make it, but with severe trauma and massive loss of cognitive abilities.

bad case once happens to me .. during a process of loading a second rubber the dyneema wishbone are broke, and the power of rubber in my hand push my hands forward .. and the gun jumped off my chest and get back under my body, like recoiled gun, so in final position it was like my hands with second rubber in it was just in front of loaded with first rubber harpun, and IF it happends the gun make self shooting bcoz of that jump and vibrations, i will be shot in my hands or even in throat,

so with loading more than one rubber, any damage to rubber dayneema wishbone, WITH gun jump off from the chest AND failed the trigger .. altogether can be really fatal

Yep. I had been aware of a case in Greece where a guy got shot in the head.
The official version was that a safety malfunctioned when he slipped... go figure.
Also blue water ( maybe Tuna ) hunting.
He did make it, but with severe trauma and massive loss of cognitive abilities.
yeah it was a young kid
he is a friend of one of my friends, still no quite sure how it happened but was pretty bad, dont think they were tuna hunting
i also think it may have been due to not taking necessary steps to avoid it from happening.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT