• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Has anyone got any views on the Aquasphere Sphera Mask?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DevonDiver

Oct 14, 2002
Hy local dealer is trying to sell me an aquasphere sphera mask and am wondering if anyone has any views on it. Are they any good ?

It's the best freediving mask around in my opinion. i think most freedivers would agree. it can take a little while to get used to the distortion in vision, and to get used to the fit (for some people). it has a low volume, but more importantly it has a flexible frame and lenses, so it requires less compensation that rigid masks of the same volume. i would compare prices with scubastore.com and simplyscuba.co.uk first though. you might save yourself a fiver.

alun

...it doesnt fit MY face at all....I had to pull the starp so tight only to keep it from leaking,I almost thought my brain would pop out of my nose:head so please try on before you pay :duh

Johan

I had problems with the fit in the beginning too... it used to leak, but I learned to position it on my face with the right amount of strap tightness to make it seal properly. i find that i have to make sure i dont have too much stubble either, otherwise it leaks.
yes, definitely try it first if you can. I would give it a go unless you're certain it's not going to fit.
(i responded to a similar thread a while back - you may be able to find it if you search for 'alun' and 'sphera'?)

alun

I loved mine until it started to fall apart- after about a year of constant use. The lenses have popped out a couple of times on me, but not at depth. I have cleaned the skirt and popped them back in, but it still isnt quite the same as it was when new.

I have recently picked up a new mask called the FALCO. It uses the same mask skirt as the Sphera, but it has glass lenses instead of plastic. It is low volume, but not as low as the Sphera. On the plus side, there is no distortion and it has a better field of view than my Cressi-sub Minima.
For going deep the sphera is still my first choice. For spearing and hockey the Falco is now my favorite.

Jon

The nice thing about the sphera, seal, and falco is that all the parts are interchangeable, so you can replace a new lense when the old one is all scratched up, and so on. You only need one sphera skirt and just use parts from a seal to replace the rest; frame, buckle, what have you.

I've seen underwater hockey folks with a dozen mask spare parts in a tool box ready for quick field repair.

You can disassemble the entire mask by popping out the strap buckle with a thin piece of plastic, then go on from there. There's a trick to it, but it's fairly easy to do if you enjoy tinkering.

Peter S.

hi

i hope i m not wrong and that i m thinking ofthe same mask now (i know it as the spera from technisub. is that one different??) .
anyway
the fit was amazing but what i didn t like at all was the bent plastic lens. vision underwater was completely distorted. i used another plastic lens mask for a while (dacor bandit), loved the fit as well, but the plastic scratches too easily plus the mask usually fogged up. even after using it daily for 2 months.

now i m hooked to my minima from cressi.

cheers

batman

It is made by Aqualung, actually Technisub. I ordered it through Aqualung, but I have seen it on the Deeper Blue shop site. It sells for around $20. I love it for spearfishing and u/w hockey. It doesn't work as well for the deep stuff as the Sphera.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT