• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Has anyone used these fins?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jersey Jim

Mar 21, 2002
Has anyone used, or know of someone who has used the Mares "Attack" fins? These fins are displayed on the "diversdirect.com" website in the fins section, under "longfins". The diveshop I bought them from in neighboring Delaware, does not stock freediving gear, but the owner has a pair. He advised me they are carbons, but I never hear anyone on this forum discussing them. To better help identify them, there are "2" screws under each fin, and Pipin's signature is on the top. To this point I have only used "Esclapez" fins for freediving, and have not had the opportunity to try them yet. Probably won't for another month or two, but am hoping for feedback from anyone who knows.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jim, I have never used them, but the word on the street is that they are junk....too stiff, too short, and break very easily. Think about sticking with OMER, Picasso, Sporasub, Esclapez, or Beauchat. Cressi too, and a few others. Mares does make some decent gear, but that fin has a bad rep.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I have a pair of them - I got them after someone stole my Beauchat's which I had had for approx 8 years - I found them way too soft - partly because the pockets are soft. They are very durable(sp?) though and I use them for dynamic as my comp/open water fins are Omer Carbon/Carbon pros(depending on how good I'm feeling). Everyone that has tried the Omers think they are too stiff but after seeing me use them they have a hard time believing how fast I move (by the way I'm way out of shape! - be 38 soon!). Bottom line is the Mares are probably not worth the money if you are a serious competative diver but for general recreation they aren't too bad if you are going to be doing a lot of swimming (spearing/dynamic in a pool).

Ok, I take it all back.
Erik Y.
ps...actually, I have talked to 2 guys who have broken these fins ;)

Thanks

Thanks Guys. I was beginning to think no one at all used these fins. I read a thread about some kind of carbons that were revised after breaking a lot, and going with 2 screws after initially using one. The fins I bought have 2 screws under each pocket, so maybe these are the ones. I suppose the topic of fin performance/preference is as subjective and varied as an individuals leg conditioning. All I can hope for is that the Mares Attack fins have an improvement over the only freediving fins I've ever used, the Esclapez Du monde. I think they are some sort of plastic blades, and a couple of inches shorter than my new carbons. I'm remaining hopefull that the Mares attack fins yield some degree of improvement. Do you by chance have any knowledge of this Esclapez reputation, and if so, how would they compare. Just once in the water would put an end to all my questions :eek:
Thank again for everyones input.
Jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT