• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Have you tried this...?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

caymandiver

give me gills!
Jun 18, 2003
snorkel position( for less resistance)

I was knoticing this when my buddy forgot his kit and rented mask and snorkel from our beloved Seaview dive shop in Cayman. It was a Sporasub snorkel and mask.

When my buddy Jason didn't have the snorkel in his mouth the snorkel would slide down to the top of the hose, to the rim just below the sportasub sticker. (As shown in picture) This was due to loose snorkel holder.

At that time I thought all sporasub snorkels slid down to the rim. When I bought one myself I realized it wasn't so.

I belive that when you purposely loosen the snorkel holder and have the snorkel slide down it will reduce drag. The mouth piece will be stablized by your shoulds and won't jump around as much.

Also it won't spit water into my mouth after a dive. I often swallow the sea water gushing down from my snorkel as I take my 1st breath. It's pretty dangerous. With this method since the mouth piece is down by my shoulder it won't spit water in my mouth.

Let me know if this is something a lot of people do. Would love to hear some reactions. .

Attachments

• snorkel 002.jpg
    snorkel 002.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
I usually keep my snorkel detached from the mask and tuck it in my my belt as I descend (hence the name "samurai" perhaps?).

I rig my snorkel keeper near the top and attach it to the back of my mask strap, where the strap sepeartes into two bands. This gives the same result with the snorkel hanging down and back out of the way. It doesnt spray water at my face when I surface and also seems to stay more streamlined and out of the way when diving.

Hi
I keep my snorkel in my hand it is way easyer (at least for me)

jure

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT