• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hawiian trigger design

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If anyone should find themselves in need of plastic or stainless steel I would recomend your local thrift shops if you have no better choice. The things we use around the house often end up at thrift shops and can offer alternatives to raw materials sources.

Large chunks of clear acrylic are often used in trophies and awards. Heavy gauge sheet stainless steel can come from a SST serving tray. It's amazing what substitutes you can find in a thrift shop.

You could say I understand what it's like to live in an area where local options are limited. rofl

Last edited:
Below is a paint rendition of the trigger mechanism I am using on my first gun. The gun is not a totally serious endeavor, and this trigger is certainly not something you would want to use on very nice, or very high powered speargun, but if you want something fast and cheap it works.
Also I should note that the design was based on the concept Fish Tale used in his more basic trigger (by which I mean I am crediting him), where he used a lever to pry the spear off of a pin, I just adapted it to work with a trigger shaped release which I cut out of what looks like 1/4" ABS plastic I found in my garage. The shape in the diagram is a little bit off, but basically as you pull the trigger the top of it rotates upward and lifts the spear off the pin.

Attachments

• triggermechanism.JPG
    triggermechanism.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 207
That could work.

One aspect of the Junkyard Speargun's trigger is that it takes about 5/16 of an inch of upward movement in the spearshaft to lift it off the pin so that the spear can get on its way. That much movement being required to fire the thing makes it less likely that it fires unexpectedly IMO.

A while ago one of the members posted a link to a web page about some antique Hawiian style spearguns/ triggers that his father had stashed away in the garage.

Here's a Link: http://www.spear-diver.com/oldguns/

If your browser has problems loading the pics, right click on the pics select "properties" and copy and paste the pics url into your browsers address bar- then hit go to load just the pic.

The photo's are the only ones I know of actual early south pacific style triggers. These are not hinge guns they're the real thing. Really fascinating stuff. It's really wonderful that someone documented these historic guns and put it out on the web.
:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT