• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Head down equalization problem

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AugTan

Jul 11, 2018
I know it's a topic that's been asked many times before. And, I have tried--still newly practicing--the Frenzel method, but just cannot get my ears equalized head down even on land. I could feel my nostril flared but no pop in the ears, did I get the Frenzel wrong? Any suggestions?

I tried depressing my nostrils(inhaling but with nose pinched) and quickly equalized and it worked, but only the first few meters. Any ideas/suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm in similar situation... Yesterday finished my ssi scuba open water with 0 equalisation problems(hands free 90% time). Today went to play around in 10m deep water, and I just can't equalise head down... Just for fun tried pulling myself down the rope head up and absolutely no problems equalising...

I'm also a beginner that has struggled with equalization, so please don't mind me too much. Still, I've managed to improve my equalization and believe I have learned a few things in the process.

@AugTan (and note to self) Practice. A lot, every day! Feel your muscles, the position of your tongue, etc. It's possible that you are tensing your jaw, or cheeks or something else that creates a sensation similar to what you would expect, but are not quite the same and won't help you underwater. Be mindful of how relaxed your whole thorax is, what muscles are engaged and how they are moving. Make sure that the muscles engaged are actually the ones you need to be acting.

@Martins I had a similar experience in my AIDA ** course last year: in scuba I've never had a problem equalizing hands free 100% of the time so I thought that equalizing would be the least of my concerns in freediving, but I just couldn't get past 10m!

In the beginning there are lots of new things happening at once and equalizing requires muscle isolation and relaxation, and there are lots of chances to confuse the right tongue and throat movements many other things that are going on.

This video might come handy, it's Adam Stern's guide to frenzel:

Reactions: Adi_adi
I don’t know... I just kept on trying and trying and it kept getting a little easier. 2 days later I found freedoving buoie... and surprised myself with a nice and easy 25m dive. Yes I know, no diving alone and all that... but to be fair for my goals I don’t need more than comfortable 10m depth. (and I don’t go often past 5m anyway... just all the good stuff here in amed is like 1-5m deep...) So today just played around and hit 25m. But only while pulling myself down the line. Finning I couldn’t get past 15m while not being scared of not coming up on time. But pulling myself down the line I felt like I could do easy 30m if it would be a bit deeper. Pretty proud of myself for 25m with no formal training and second holiday when I am actually diving...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT