• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hearing problems the day after

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shrek

SSI Freediving Instructor Trainer
Jun 11, 2009
i've started having problems a day or two after diving.
on the actual dive i have no problems equalising or after the divei can hear fine but over the next couple of days my hearing goes to the pack i can still equilise ok and breath trough my nose clearly .
i went and seen the doc and he gave me a steriodal spray to reduce the mucus in my sinus it's done that but i still have this post dive deafness witch goes away after a few days.
any sugestions would be apreciated:head

Reactions: vali
is very important to dry your ears after every dive
if not, the germ may be appear and because of them, the ear produce some kind of a liquid who can give you the impresion that you still have water in ears [sometimes even after longue periode of time]
do you experienced any payne, because if yes, there mey be an external otita, wich must be imediatelly killed with pills

I recently completely lost the hearing in my left ear. I have had occasional problems clearing for many years, but nothing like this. I was diving the middle of October, with cold, but not brutal conditions. I was in the water for about an hour. My maximum depth was just under 20 m. I had no trouble clearing my ears on each dive. I have had ear trauma before (round window rupture), so I know what it feels like. There was no pain or dizziness, and no other indication of damage.
After the dive I had the sensation of a plugged left ear. Several days later I went to the doctor because symptoms persisted. She said it appeared that there was mucous in the middle ear. I started taking Beconase, a strong steroidal spray, and also flushing my sinuses out with NealMed.
It has now been over 2 months and I'm still totally deaf in that ear. The doctor still thinks it will clear up, but I have my doubts. My guess at the moment is that the bones in the middle collapsed after too many decades of freediving, and it isn't going to come back. Worst case it is part of the price for a long career freediving, and best case it will clear up eventually, leaving me with a much greater respect for my hearing.

Howard

hey guys,

that problem sounds similar to the one i have atm. went diving with a bit of a runny nose did i dive and felt one of my sinus glands squeeze and after that my start blocking with the cold.. 3 days later my ear is blocked and i have colored discharge. Not really sure wat the next step is, flushing my sinus out a heap. but might have to go to the doctors. at least i havent got any pain or anything just cant equalize my right ear..

cheers

Ktreloar

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT