• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Heart Palpitations (approx 10 meters 30ft)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lukep

Dec 18, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am going to post a message that I sent to a great freediver here in New Zealand for advice and this has really crippled me. I have aquatic rehab spearfishing on youtube and after lengthy CFS/ME investigation I have been too shattered to get in the water. I am feeling some improvements however the this heart thing has me worried. Anyway the message is below and if you have any potential knowledge on this please let me know. I have had a heart ultrasound and a check for extra holes etc at the age of 16.

"Hi mate I thought you may have some insight from the freediving scene. I was helping with charters a couple of years back and was sitting at about 10-12m watching a kingfish and I started to feel very relaxed and strange before having what felt like quite an intense heart palpitation. Just one solid lurch and then on the surface I felt close to SWB, had to end the day. I have a history of insomnia and fatigue etc and was very fatigued on the day. Been diagnosed with some sort of post viral ME/CFS with a lot of investigation. Getting up early in the morning for me often leads to heart flutters etc. blood pressure is always good. Have a history of arrhythmias with investigation 20 years ago but unable to capture it on monitors. Had an 8 month break and got in fairly unfit and fatigued again, had the same thing after shooting a snapper in the current and felt awful trying to surface then it settled. I have a medium sliding hiatus hernia and am unsure if under pressure this can cause issues in the same region. I take PPI medication for this and understand it can cause electrolyte imbalanced which may contribute. I have a vague understanding of PVC SVT ectopic beats etc. I want to work toward shooting fish again, I don’t intend to dive past 5m without a buddy while I test. The hospital gastro and cardiology have told me in the past I have visceral hypersensitivity so I am often feeling a lot of internal pain and discomfort and possibly noticing heart flutters etc more than the average Joe. Would you have any advice?"

Also note I am taking a low dose SNRI from the pain clinic to manage the fibromyalgia symptom set that comes with CFS/ME - I am unsure if I was on this medication when the first palpatation happened however it may be worth me finding out incase it is a factor.

Thank you

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT