• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Heart rate increasing in static?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

chojan

Feb 22, 2004
I was wondering what it meant if someone's heart rate is actually increasing throughout a static, rather than decreasing?

Someone I know has a very low heart resting heart rate to begin with (after relaxed ventilations ~35), and at some point during the hold (about 2:00), the heart rate starts continuously increasing. Eventually, near the break of apnea, the rate is around 87 BPM.

This seems counter-intuitive to what I would expect to happen with the response, so I'm curious as to how this happens so differently.

The only trait that I think could potentially cause it is that the person said that they were trying to slow down the contractions. Would it be likely that this could have such an impact?

Has anyone else seen this, or have this happen in themselves?

Thanks.

Reactions: thud
hi

if i doing static my heart rate always increasing :confused: if i m not thinking about something, because if i hold my breath i can hear my heart beating very well, i dont know how it comes :head . but after 3 min my heart rating increase and after 5 min my contractions are deep and slow and become faster faster ... the problem is if i start to get contractions i cant consentrate me anymore on relaxing. but i never hyperventilate and dont pack to max ( only 1-2 packs ) i only trying to relax before i hold my breath.
after my static i usualy have ca. 90BPM but never test it well , only as i did sycling 2 min, my heart beat rate was ca. 100 ( on gym bysicle, you cant drive with it , i hope you dont think that i m so crazy and make a static while im driving my bike :duh :naughty ) my lowest heart rate is to high ca. 55- 60, maybe because i hear all the time my heart and trying to get it slower. and my best statics i do mostly if i m thinking bout something and try not to hear my heart rate .

hope that helps , can someone help me? :( :waterwork to get my heart beat lower, i already jogging about a year 3-4 times per week , 17 - 20 min , but i dont know if it helps or not ? :confused:

Last edited:
Hi Cal

Have experienced very significant increases in heart-rate during Apnea a few times, which I've subsequently discovered was due to a bit of dehydration and lack of 'food/nutrients' in my system, ie, not eating for too long prior to diving to try and improve performance. Your body is battling, low on fuel, and apnea then stresses it out completely.
I have now started making sure I'm well fueled and hydrated before I freedive, and have never felt better. Heart rate stays way down. Not sure if there's any answers in that ?

Blue skies

Jeff

My friend's response is completely opposite to my own. In my case, my heart rate drops as soon as the first contraction hits, and then continues to drop (to about 40 BPM or lower) in a dry static. I let each contraction be quick, while this person protracts them out much longer.

What you suggest, Jeff, about hydration and nourishment is something I hadn't considered before. I'll see if it makes any difference for them.

I wonder, though, whether "slowing" the contractions might be causing most of this, though?

Liam -- are you trying to slow down the contractions?

Thanks.

Eric F say on the +6.30 min thread:

"If you use the yogi method of blocking the contractions, your metabolic rate decreases exponentially"

Could someone explain the method or give more info about this method?

Originally posted by chojan

Liam -- are you trying to slow down the contractions?

yep i m trying to slow down them. but after ca. 5 min they got worse, so that my face becomes to be hoter, then i cant keep my static anymore, and have to brake it. i never had a samba or BO ( or wait 3 BO*s after packing :duh ) maybe i have to big CO² concentration and should try to hyperventilate !?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT