• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Heart

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kingohyes

Aug 17, 2003
What effect has freediving on the heart?? I do static and dynamic 5 times a week, and packing/lung stretching everyday. Sometimes i get these stitches in my heart, it can be painful. Does this have anything to do with freediving?

Sorry for bad english;)

I am not an expert on this subject, by any means, but I suppose that freediving, like any sporting activitiy is good for your hart.
When I was still a competitive swimmer, I also had the problem you describe, but the doctor told me that it is not the heart that you feel, you actually feel some muscles in the ribcage, as it stretches a lot during training/ heavy breathing.
Anyway, this is too important to speculat, so I would deffinetly sugges that you go to a doctor, decribe the simptoms and do some tests, so that you are shure, that you do not have some kind of heart condition.

best of luck,
Aljo

Reactions: kingohyes
Originally posted by kingohyes
What effect has freediving on the heart?? I do static and dynamic 5 times a week, and packing/lung stretching everyday. Sometimes i get these stitches in my heart, it can be painful. Does this have anything to do with freediving?

Sorry for bad english;)

How healthy is your heart?

Have you ever undertaken a medical test to see if you have a condition?

Also following TCM (if your cardiopulmonary system OK) will help you to maintain a healthy heart without having to seek conventional, inefficient (for prevention) and expensive western medicine.

Please read the following:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...id=62921&md5=df87ceaa5dd39951702a89e04f834058

All the best.

Reactions: kingohyes
Thanks for the replies guys, I will look further into this. have some karma

I've just found out at my medical that I now have a heart flow murmur - probably as a result of overtraining the heart muscle. I do a fair amount of cardio training in the gym so I guess that did it.

Apparently its nothing to really worry about but does anyone have any hints on how I can make my training safer (but not necessarily any easier!) to avoid making this worse?

Sam

Originally posted by samdive
I've just found out at my medical that I now have a heart flow murmur - probably as a result of overtraining the heart muscle. I do a fair amount of cardio training in the gym so I guess that did it.

Apparently its nothing to really worry about but does anyone have any hints on how I can make my training safer (but not necessarily any easier!) to avoid making this worse?

Sam

Just start regular meditation, which will help you to reduce the amount of work the heart regularly undertakes. If you learn how to apply the three locks (bandhas) in pranayama, the heart will reduce significantly its pumping task.

Also revise your diet. Maybe you are consuming certain foods that are not suited to your biochemical profile. Maybe your diet lacks of certain micronutrients that are necessary for your overall health, which will also affect your heart's health. What is your alcohol consumption like? All of these factors (and others that I am not mentioning) need to be revised in order to see what is wrong with your heart.

Check these out:

1. http://www.holistichearthealth.com/library/pdf/chf.pdf

2. If you want a good source for determining your best starting point in discovering which foods are best, check the following book: "The Metabolic Typing Diet" by William Wolcott & Trish Fahey. These authors are a walking encylopedia of knowledge of fundamental homeostatic controls in the body and how foods affect them. Link:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0767905644/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2649796-7606433#reader-page"]Amazon.com: The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet to Your Own Unique Body Chemistry (9780767905640): William Linz Wolcott, Trish Fahey: Books[/ame]

All the best.

thanks Gerard - I don't drink very often so maybe I need more red wine!

and I don't eat meat but I'm not about to change that

and I am about the least likely person in the world to succeed at meditation, my mind is permanently all over the place - but I'll give it a go

will take a look at those sites

from what my doctor said, there is nothing wrong with my heart, it has just got a bit too strong for the vessels around it, apparently this is quite a common problem with marathon runners, swimmers and others who push themselves hard in training.

I would be more interested in how I can develop my cardio training without increasing the problem - anyone?

thanks

Sam

reflexion

Since I was walking in the street of New York yesterday I read a big sign that say "Push to the limit" something like this

and I was thinking myself (what limit?) what do we think is our limit? can we recognize when is the time to stop?

and there is where is the problem something we go farther from our limit and we see the negative result laters--

the life is a process: gradual changes that lead toward a particular result

so take it easy freedivers! Hey,, but don't take this too easy

saludos

Sam,

That's one of the goals of beginning meditation: shut-down the internal dialogue. Every single thinking being has to deal with that. So don't worry. Give it a go.

Regarding your question: you can't. Give it up or decrease intensity. Remember the saying of the sage: in your old age you won't be able to run like the young, so why not start developing the skills now when you are young so you can still practice them once you are old? Example: Taijiquan (Tai Chi).

:)

Originally posted by samdive
thanks Gerard - I don't drink very often so maybe I need more red wine!

and I don't eat meat but I'm not about to change that

and I am about the least likely person in the world to succeed at meditation, my mind is permanently all over the place - but I'll give it a go

will take a look at those sites

from what my doctor said, there is nothing wrong with my heart, it has just got a bit too strong for the vessels around it, apparently this is quite a common problem with marathon runners, swimmers and others who push themselves hard in training.

I would be more interested in how I can develop my cardio training without increasing the problem - anyone?

thanks

Sam

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT