• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hektometer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chad StClair

Nov 15, 2016
Who else got some??? I know I did!! Can't wait to try them out it will be sweet if they work for spearfishing i.e. Good vision.. Do fluid googles and these help with dive reflex or is it actually the eye lids that make the most difference??? Should help a bit I would think with reflex, even if they don't much it will be awesome to handsfree equealize and will be worth every penny if they work well for spearfishing!! Can't wait!!!!!

Chad

Looking forward to hearing your feedback on these Chad. I hate getting water in my eyes and use a mask even for deep freedives 80m+.

These hektometer goggles seem like a possible solution to my distaste for water in the eyeballs.

Reactions: Chad StClair
Yea I will give you some feedback when I get them they were supposed to have shipped a few days ago!! I am so pumped to get them and I am shocked more people are not excited and talking about them?!? They do cost a pretty penny but for the freedom of handsfree and more air for equalization and vision.... but for me it would be awesome if they have good vision and are comfortable for spearfishing would be sweet!!!! And like I said it would be awesome if it helps with dive reflex a bit because for me facial immersion makes a huge difference in comfort of my dives and dive times!! We will see.....

Heard plenty of good things from a few people already, mine should be on the way as well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chad StClair
So they are a beautiful piece of dive gear!!! They do seem very fragile and I am hard on gear!! I already almost screwed them up by burning the glass I did the inside of the lenses and saw the crap burn off and then flipped them over to do the other side and they have a plastic coat on the outside that kind of wrinkled a bit thank god it didn't screw them up!! Keep fire away!!!! Lol....

As for diving I have not used a nose clip a lot and so there will be a learning curve there, but I did a couple dives today down to 10m and they were very comfortable but it is a shock to the face in cold water and combined with less vision than my omer zeros I felt very clostophobic lol but I think a lot of it would be better with practice and time!!

As for spearfishing in them I don't think that is going to happen for quite sometime because of the tension they cause in me and there is a pretty reduced vision (tunnel) compared to my other googles omer zero.. also how hard I am in gear I don't think spearing they would last.

So all in all very cool googles just need some time to get used to them definitely recommend them for line diving but I wouldn't use them spearing unless you get real comfy in them and are spearing really deep like below 25m then maybe they would be sweet

Bare in mind I am no guru and I am not putting these googles down at all I was just hoping for better vision then they have maybe they will impress me more the more I dive with them and they are way better than just a nose clip!! P.S there nose clip that came with them was really nice and comfy and ratcheted down so it was very sturdy and won't come loose.

Chad

Just an update I contacted hektometer to try and buy another pair because I kind of screwed these ones up and told them what happened and they confirmed not to burn the lens they are acrylic. But they offered to put in new lens or send a new set with the new googles!!. What awesome service!!!!! And they gave me advise on the issues I had for the cold and vision maybe I will try the clear so I feel more comfortable!! I will give them a better shot on my next dives to try and fix my issues as most the problems are with me not the googles!!

I did not use a snorkel with them but I think you could because they fit really well in the eye that a snorkel may not pull to bad. And yea if you were used to them and using a nose clip you for sure can safety in them but I would spend some time in them First

Reactions: Peter Freediver
I finally got my pair, and tried them out over the weekend.

Conclusion:
Do you need these? Unless you're an elite competitor, probably not.
Are they totally awesome? Oh, yeah!

The cons:
  1. If you're used to using a mask, switching to goggles and a nose clip takes some getting used to, and in my case resulted in a pretty dramatic decrease in performance. This is entirely due to the fact that these goggles are strangely claustrophobic. The narrow field of view (compared to a mask), and the sensation of the membrane collapsing in around your eyes as you descend is disconcerting to say the least. After spending an afternoon going up and down a line with my eyes closed, I finally started to get used to the sensations of the goggles and hands-free equalization. With enough practice, I expect that I'll get as good (hopefully better) with the goggles as I am with a mask.
  2. The plastic lenses scratch easily, and tend to fog. My goggles arrived with some micro-scratches on the lenses, probably from assembly. Not enough to affect visual clarity, but a little irritating. Ordinarily, acrylic lenses have a protective film on them, which is only removed at the very end of the assembly process, or by the end user. Because of how the lenses are seated in the silicone membrane, I guess the film has to be removed prior to assembly. I'm not too worried about it because I expect I'll end up adding more scratches of my own sooner or later. The fogging is another problem common to plastic lenses, compounded in this case because you shouldn't use defog solution on lenses that are only a few millimeters from your eyeballs (especially while wearing contacts, ouch.) Spitting on the lenses works okay, but it's hard to get the perfect "just-enough-to-stop-fogging-but-not-enough-to-distort-your-vision" coating.
The pros:
  1. If you've never tried a nose clip, go out and buy one and spend an afternoon going up and down a line with just the clip (no goggles or mask, just close your eyes). If you're like me, you'll conclude that being able to use a nose clip and see at the same time is worth the admittedly hefty pricetag for the goggles. The combination of hands-free equalization and not having to suck the excess air out of your mask while ascending is just plain awesome.
  2. No need to waste air equalizing your mask. Honestly, this is less of an issue for me because I'm not at the level where a few extra cc of air is going to make a huge difference in my performance.
  3. Less stuff on your face. Not only does this help with the dive response, but it just feels cool. After wearing these for a day, going back to a regular mask feels really clunky.
  4. Everyone who sees you wearing them will be at least a little envious. As a technical innovation, the hektometer goggles are simple and elegant. I wouldn't be surprised to see more companies coming out with their own designs in the next few years now that the concept has been proven to work.

I wish they made a set that had glass lens I spoke to the maker and said they can’t be made with glass as well as a lens scuba shop I sent them to. That and a wider field of vision and if the depth was only good to 40 or 50 I would buy a set for spearing and rec diving!!

Absolutely love my hektometer goggles. I've taken them to 60m and friends have taken them to 70 and 80m. I know Davide Carrera dove to 105m. So I think they're going to keep most people satisfied for while. I've also been doing all my safetying in them too. You can definitely snorkel in them I just ordered some head straps so I can have somewhere to secure my snorkel. The straps are ones they use for headlamps minus the headlamp.

Only cons are they slightly reduce peripheral vision. They are also quite fragile so don't push the lens too hard or touch the membrane. First day I had some fogging issue but I put toothpaste in them overnight and no problems since.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I do not live close to the ocean, unfortunately.
So I dive in lakes and rivers and they are to some extent dirty water.
I was going to buy one, then, I caught myself wondering if the dirt from the water could damage the goggle with time as after some months there would be some mug and bacterias inside that silicone area.
Ps. after some days in the box a mushroom grown in my friend's mask after a dive in a river. kkkk

I do not live close to the ocean, unfortunately.
So I dive in lakes and rivers and they are to some extent dirty water.
I was going to buy one, then, I caught myself wondering if the dirt from the water could damage the goggle with time as after some months there would be some mug and bacterias inside that silicone area.
Ps. after some days in the box a mushroom grown in my friend's mask after a dive in a river. kkkk
Well I'm not sure but I've been diving in a lake a few times with them. If you're worried just rinse them out good after. You could probably disinfect them with a diluted bleach solution too. Once you switch to a noseclip it's going to be hard going back to a mask.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT