• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello all

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Osama Mohamed

Mar 22, 2017
Hi everybody! I am new here, been lurking for a little bit though. I have been reading up on all the beginner forums, and am starting to learn my breathing techniques. I have a trip planned to Portugal this May, and am hoping that I can get my breathing to be sufficient that I might be able to get someone to take my spearfishing. I have 0 experience though and 100% understand there is significant liability. I look forward to being part of this community as I learn to dive. Sadly I live in Idaho, and we're not really known for our waters (minus the blue ribbon trout fishing).

If anyone knows any tips or tricks to help a beginner, I would appreciate them, but as for now, reading and application is where I am at!

Thank you all, and Greetings again!

Welcome to Deeperblue! There is a lot of good info on this site. You'll learn a lot simply by browsing and searching keywords, especially in the Freediving and Beginner Freediving subforums. Of course, there is nothing better than qualified instruction. It can be hard to come by in landlocked areas, but it's well worth the effort.

Glad you could join us :D

Reactions: Osama Mohamed
Welcome to diving. Reach out to dive shops and connect with an experienced dive master. I made all my sons learn to dive safely b4 they ravaged the reef of marine life. Safe travels

I've stopped by all 3 dive shops on Boise, and none of them have much to offer in terms of free diving. The deepest pool in the area is 13', and it's way too cold to try and learn in the reservoirs with snow melt. I have however been reading and working on my breath hold, and can get anywhere from 1:30-2:00 fairly consistently with a brief breathe up. I tend to stop after 3 or 4, but am building up to holding more times. I'm also giving myself a day or 2 in between so I don't over do it.

That being said. Would it still be wise to learn scuba, or scuba tactics? I have experience with an SCBA, from working for the fire department.

I've stopped by all 3 dive shops on Boise, and none of them have much to offer in terms of free diving. The deepest pool in the area is 13', and it's way too cold to try and learn in the reservoirs with snow melt. I have however been reading and working on my breath hold, and can get anywhere from 1:30-2:00 fairly consistently with a brief breathe up. I tend to stop after 3 or 4, but am building up to holding more times. I'm also giving myself a day or 2 in between so I don't over do it.

That being said. Would it still be wise to learn scuba, or scuba tactics? I have experience with an SCBA, from working for the fire department.

It's my opinion that know one has the monopoly on good ideas. Scuba training will lead to repeat dives and an opportunity to acclimate to the water. To learn to conserve air and open up a world of spearfishing opportunities to you Osama, that you currently don't have. I shoot more fish with a tank on than I do free diving. I shoot big fish or abalone when free diving! I believe it all makes you stronger and well rounded!

I never really considered the O2 consumption part! I've been trying to run more, my cardio training has never been great. The problem with being landlocked as well is there aren't a lot of dive sites here. We've got a couple really clear lakes, about 30-50' deep, but the thermocline is generally around 15-25' and the water is generally cold. My buddy spearfishes with scuba gear, and it sounds pretty efficient.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT