• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello freedivers! - is breath holding healthy?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rhinocerus

Jul 14, 2007
Greetings to all,

I've just come back from Thailand where I spent 3 months living on Koh Tao, next door to their free diving champions - the blue eyed german giant Roland and his spanish mate whose name escapes me. Both are gentlemen and both are always eager to go out in their longtail to spearfish.

I wish I had taken a course whilst I was on Koh Tao but I was loving hanging out with these two and watching them freedive. I don't think I learn't anything practical. Just loved their silence.

I would often come up and down three times before they would come to the surface. I used to love watching them float ethereally below me. Not a muscle moving.

Very zen.

I then did a month in a local Thai monastery - enjoying the silence, enjoying the meditation, enjoying basic food - but found it hard to enjoy the wooden bed and wooden pillow.

Not very nice.

I met a hot french girl called Sophie I think - she was french and very into her free diving. She was doing a course and I remember thinking that I would love to do this course. I didn't do it and now I realise it was because I was afraid of where it might take me. She spoke of almost blacking out and to be honest that terrified me. Anyone felt that way?

Truth is I have been freediving, surfing and ocean swimming for twenty years so I should have packed the fear away, bitten the bullet and done the course.

Decided that I love the silence, love the sea and love meditation. In short I need to get into this freediving armed with more information. So you guys are a godsend! Thanks.

So where to start?

I have the cash to fly to a country and do a course. I live in Australia and can go east or west. Thailand, Indonesia, Hawaii, Fiji, the pacific islands (too many to name) or perhaps here in Australia?

Any suggestions?

I also would like to know if practicing holding your breath, holding your breath for long periods of time and the associated techniques of freediving - is all this good for your health or bad for your health?

Should I start a thread on this? (I did a search and found nothing so far) and if so where would someone suggest I start it.

Thanks to anyone who reads my hello.

Nice to be here :blackeye:thankyou

Rhinocerus

http://forums.deeperblue.net/beginner-freediving/

Hi Rhino first look at the link above its the begininng free diving thread and full of useful info and warnings about the dangers of freediving. Defiantly do a course there are some in Australia and New Zealand afaik but others could probably give you better info. I believe that its good for my health as I have improved myself to try and be a better free diver ( ie lost weight got a bit fitter ) but as to wheather holding your breath is actually good for you I doubt it ( but no worse than having a few beers inmho) but I do it cos I enjoy it and it allows me explore the ocean the way i like best.
Welcome to db searchs should bring you a lot of info but nothing beats a course.

Thanks Feargus,

Yeah that was the way I thought the health question might go.

It would be good to get a freediving related MD to comment I guess. Any MD's that are involved on the board that you know of? Could be an interesting topic for discussion.

I agree wholeheartedly, it ain't called free diving for nothing.

I am motoring throughout the beginners section. Great information. Great member interaction.

Loving it.

You might want to go to Hawaii to take a Performance Freediving course- they do a few per year there I think, and the course is phenomenal. It will bring your fear down to a healthy level of respect for your limitations, which you might see are much higher than you may have thought.

Ahh yes Erik - I've been reading a few comments over these threads that suggest a course in Hawaii.

It sounds good - what's the pricing like?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT