• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from beautiful Mallorca

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Feb 15, 2016
Good day to all of you. I am new to this site but I´ll be checking in regularly. I am based in Mallorca and would be happy to hear from any other freedivers. Have fun and stay safe.

Hi Julian,

I am new to Mallorca and really wanting to continue my free diving like i was able to living in the south pacific!
Do you have any advice in the way of locations for shore dives or companies to go our free diving with?
Would love to hear any tips!

Naomi,

There are a few good sites here but I think you will find that the S Pacific was better for marine life. My strongest recommendation for a day out is Cala Varcas on the East Coast- lots of caves to swim through and a beautiful place all round but not very deep. Mar Balear dive school in Port Adriano sometimes organises freediving trips and there are lots of spearfishers here. The hard part here in Mallorca is access to deep water without a boat but nonetheless there are some good dive sites. Also try Illetes, Banyalbufar, Estellencs, Malgrat Islands- anywhere that is rocky rather than sandy. Do you speak Spanish or Catalan? If so, call in to Isurus Dive Shop in Palma and they can give you plenty of advice and they run a training club, spearfishing trips etc. What level do you dive to?
If you like, you can call or text me on 606 649 619 but I am not available as much as I would like- I have two young children to occupy my time now! As for me, I plan to get my SSI or AIDA instructor qualification later this year and maybe start a school here in Mallorca, although it depends on the demands of family life. Most of my diving has been outside Mallorca (- I travelled a lot with work until recently-) but I will be happy to find someone here with whom I might dive. I am a little out of practice but I usually find that a week or two of daily dives brings me back in form and the summer diving season is close. Tomorrow, I expect the arrival of a Waterways Monofin which will give me some more motivation.

Hello all, I am based on Mallorca and always looking for freediving buddies to share in the great experiences Mallorca has to offer. If you are interested to explore some great freediving locations together let me know with a private message.

Naomi,

There are a few good sites here but I think you will find that the S Pacific was better for marine life. My strongest recommendation for a day out is Cala Varcas on the East Coast- lots of caves to swim through and a beautiful place all round but not very deep. Mar Balear dive school in Port Adriano sometimes organises freediving trips and there are lots of spearfishers here. The hard part here in Mallorca is access to deep water without a boat but nonetheless there are some good dive sites. Also try Illetes, Banyalbufar, Estellencs, Malgrat Islands- anywhere that is rocky rather than sandy. Do you speak Spanish or Catalan? If so, call in to Isurus Dive Shop in Palma and they can give you plenty of advice and they run a training club, spearfishing trips etc. What level do you dive to?
If you like, you can call or text me on 606 649 619 but I am not available as much as I would like- I have two young children to occupy my time now! As for me, I plan to get my SSI or AIDA instructor qualification later this year and maybe start a school here in Mallorca, although it depends on the demands of family life. Most of my diving has been outside Mallorca (- I travelled a lot with work until recently-) but I will be happy to find someone here with whom I might dive. I am a little out of practice but I usually find that a week or two of daily dives brings me back in form and the summer diving season is close. Tomorrow, I expect the arrival of a Waterways Monofin which will give me some more motivation.

Yay!! Sounds awesome
Lots of information there, thanks so much.

Are you planning on going freediving at all this weekend?
I am yet to buy a new wetsuit for over here, would three mm be thick enough?

Yay!! Sounds awesome
Lots of information there, thanks so much.

Are you planning on going freediving at all this weekend?
I am yet to buy a new wetsuit for over here, would three mm be thick enough?

I wear a 5mm in the winter and I am perfectly warm so long as I do not laze around in the water. I have a 2.5mm which I am currently using and it is the same effect- perfect unless I stop swimming for more than 10 minutes or so. I strongly recommend Isurus for the wetsuit- they speak enough English to help you in the shop. They are in the old part of Palma, not far- about 1km- from Hogans Bar and the Hard Rock café.

I won´t be diving this weekend because th kids are booked up with parties. Next weekend might be better but I´ll let you know. For how long are you here? Do you work on yachts?

Hi there!
Thank you for the wet suit shop advice. I will go in the morning and get one.

I can't wait to get back in the water. I am just a beginner at this stage so want to go often as possible. Each weekend hopefully.
Yes I am working on a yacht here. Will be here a few months.

Naomi, I worked on the yachts many years ago but no more- it is not good for family life! I am not an advanced freedver. I hold AIDA 3 star, if that gives you some idea. However, it will be good to have someone wit whom to train. You have my number. I will message you next week and we´ll arrange something. I want to go back to Cala Varcas in the next week or two- it is my favourite place in the world.
J

Welcome. Looks like a great place to holiday/spearfish. Considering it for a vacation this year. Is it necessary to get any paperwork to spearfish? (Although, it is tempting just to stick a mask & snorkel in my bag.)

Welcome. Looks like a great place to holiday/spearfish. Considering it for a vacation this year. Is it necessary to get any paperwork to spearfish? (Although, it is tempting just to stick a mask & snorkel in my bag.)
Yes, If you wish to spearfish (or do any sort of fishing) in the Balearic Islands, you need a licence: The procedure is simple but if you do not speak Spanish or Catalan then you may need some assistance from a friend, just for translation: (1) Get a medical clearance from a doctor- a scuba medical is acceptable or download a form from fdbas.com (Federacion Balear de Activadades Subaquaticas) - click on the Licencias Federativas tab and select the Certificad Medica and take this to a doctor- it is a very basic medical. (2) Take the completed medical form plus identifaction ( such as passport) and 4 passport photos to the FDBAS office at the Palma Stadium (all of the sporting federation offices are on the lower floors). They will register you and the 12 month membership including insurance. I think it costs about 60 Euros. (3) Take all of the paperwork to the Fisheries Ministry in Palma - get directions from the FDBAS office. Fill in the forms here and pay a small fee (about 25 Euros, I think) and they will process the licence right away. Renewals can be done online. If you do not speak Catalan or Spanish then I STRONGLY recommend taking a translator to the fisheries office. Note: The licence application takes only a few hours and is cheap. Getting caught fishing without a licence, including spearfishing, will cost you a fine of 20,000 Euros or more. Get the licence! Also, they have plenty of information on restrictions on catch size, marine reserves, protected species etc.
Now, the above notes apply to fishing, of all types. As for Freediving, it makes sense to have insurance. If you are visiting and have insurance, no problem. If you arrive without it, you could go through steps (1)and (2) or buy it through a dive shop or online. Most travel insurance policies will not cover freediving. Check your policy.
One last note on Mallorca: It has everything I love: Diving, fishing, history, culture, incredible natural beauty and is a very safe place to live or visit. It is, simply, my favourite place in the world and my wife agrees. We chose to move here from Australia and our children fish, dive, hunt octopus etc. when they are not in school. It is an idyllic life for all of us.

Reactions: Mr. X
Tomorrow I will freedive at the El Toro marine protected area, if anybody is interested.

Open to times so far. Waiting on a response from another freediver. I prefer late morning or later afternoon usually.

;) Great, I will begin making posts on Mallorca outings. Also, today we are going to go for 4pm instead now for anybody that may be following.

would have loved to have joined! Unfortunately I work until 5 during the week.
Any body free on Sunday? Would love to go

Is anybody interested in going to Cala Varcas for a day of diving? I can drive and have room for passengers. It is a fantastic site for all levels and is one of Mallorca´s most beautiful beaches. Let me know if and when anyone os available.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT