• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Buenos Aires (Los Barriles) Mexico

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Baja Mike

Apr 24, 2015
Hola!

My wife and I just Moved to wonderful Mexico from Denver, Colorado where I had been land locked for 38 and half years. I knew that I needed to be near the ocean since I was a young child. I had kept many successful saltwater reef aquariums as a way to fill the void. We had visited Mexico for several years and while visiting we loved sport fishing and snorkeling.

October of 2013 we decided Mexico was our next home. We started the process and bought our land and started building our home.When we finally moved in November 2014, a few of my friends told me is should try spearfishing. I resisted for a while until I found a second hand spear gun at our local second hand store. After weeks of contemplating (and getting skunked shore fishing) I bought it. It needed some repairs and I spent a few weeks doing just that.

My first day in the water (Spearfishing) with my rebuilt gun was this last Sunday. 10 minutes in the water I take a shot at a parrot fish and get him. At this point I am totally hooked. My lucky streak soon meets the reality this is much harder than my first shot lol. I a about a 50/50 shot right now I am getting really good at sharpening my tips as my misses often find the face of a rock. But this is all I can think about.

It is an amazing experience I feel at one with the fish and all the animals in the water. It provides food for my wife and I and a sense of self reliance. I know I have a huge learning curve ahead of me but that is ok. My challenge is to get the best gear I can afford on a limited budget (semi retiring at 38 leaves little room for over spending). I hope I can learn from these forums and apply some of the knowledge I get from here to the real world.

Hasta pronto,
Mike

Reactions: BatRay and Gab
Welcome to Deeperblue, Mike. It sounds like you and your wife are living the dream!

Equipment-wise, something as simple as a pole spear can get the job done. If you enjoy hands-on projects, you may want to check out the DIY speargun subforum. There is a lot of knowledge and experience on this website, so feel free to browse, ask questions, and search the forum.

Hope to see some updates.

Hi Mike, where do you spearfish? What kind of gun do you have?
Semi retired at age 38 is a good idea, your health will steadily improve thru the years if you continue to hunt for your food.
And of course, there is nothing better than seafood for health and flavor! You should live to be 120 years old!
Cheers, Kerry.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT