• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hello from Norfolk uk

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

norfolknovice

Apr 30, 2013
Hi all, if been thinking about spearfishing for the past few months and finally got my first setup delivered today. I'm a complete newbie and haven't even been in the water yet. I have got to learn the whole process hence why I joined this forum to get all the help/advice I need along my journey. I'm from north norfolk UK, and although fishing round here is not brilliant I know there are fish out there, I have been a rod and line fisherman for as long as I can remember and have never had great success but have seen good fish caught off our coastline. Hopefully weather permitting I'll be able to start my diving practice this week..
I'm curious to know if there are any other spearos in the north norfolk area on the forum??

Now going for a dive through the forum..

Happy hunting..

Luke..

One of the fist things to learn about spearfishing is patience .... Welcome to the forum Luke!

Thanks for the welcome foxfish, much appreciated..

Luckily I am very patient when needed, I don't like talking to myself though..
Spent my first day out yesterday and loved it, so much so I am now off out again and it's not even 7 in the morning!! Luckily the beach is only 2 miles away..hopefully il be able to get the speargun out today, learning to dive is a challenge on its own!!

Welcome to the forum mate. Unfortunately I'm not from the Norfolk area so can't offer any particular advice about locations species etc. but if you want any advice regarding setups or anything just ask away and someone will be able to help.

Good luck on the dives buddy. Early morning dives can be very productive ; ). Keep us posted how you get on. Try using the search option to see if anyone else has posted about Spearfishing around Norfolk.

Dive safe Matt

I might be in Norfolk later this year, if so I will be happy to join you. I have no experience of diving in that part of the country at all so let me know how it goes. I'm sure there must be others in that neck of the woods maybe not on DeeperBlue though. Ideally never dive alone. Be careful if you are going on solo expeditions and make sure someone knows where you are and when you expect to be back.

It seems there are not many divers in Norfolk, which I suppose is due to the water clarity here,, I know on the right days and sea conditions it will be possible to do some productive fishing. I have a couple of locations which I swam regularly in summer months which I know will be perfect with crystal clear waters. This mornings swim was a no go, didn't put one foot in due to murky waters, instead I got my metal detector out and found a nice gold ring.
Thanks freedivescot. It would be nice to meet someone with diving experience, I could show you how terribly flat and Sandy our coastline is:) there are a few wrecks I would like to dive once I feel a bit more confident and can hold my breath for more than 2mins.. I'll keep all posted with my progress as Norfolk needs to be put on the diving map by the look of things.
I have always known not to venture out alone in the seas and marshes so I am always very cautious if I do but normally I've got the misses not to far away to save me if I'm in trouble..

Off tomorrow to try a new location where I've successfully fished many times with a rod...

Il keep all updated..

Peace..

Best freedive I ever had was in early November on the Scottish West coast. Crystal clear water, no jellyfish. A bit cold but mainly air temperature rather than in the water and best of all, no getting eaten alive by swarms of voracious midges while changing. Have tried the North sea at Eyemouth and Dunbar and it is good if the wind and sea conditions are right.

And always take a buoy with you. Shows boats your position in the water, allows you something to rest on if you he tired or (god forbid) caught in strong tides and it provides a storage place for a bottle of water fish stringer and anything else you want to clip onto it

I'm really looking forward to getting into clear waters, might have to travel south if I don't succeedround here before the summer..
That's good advice Matt, I haven't used my float yet but thinking about it now I should've done(very foolish)!! I'm going to get some line today to connect my gun to the float, il put my stringer on there too.. Might invest in a waterproof phone bag to attach to it just Incase I do ever get drifted out to sea or a serious emergency arises.
Now off to the pool to get some apnea practice..

Have a good day guys...

There are sone mussels beds around Wells beach, they are excellent for flatties/ mulket you name it. If you cant find them, collect some*mussels an mash them uo into a chum, place this in a mesh bag on the bottom and it should attract some fish, usually flounder ect.
This summer I will be spearfishing cromer (hopefully finding some large lobster) and brancaster staithe for flatties. There are always fish just be patient.

Sounds like some good advice, are you from around north norfolk then?? I will give wells a try when I get a bit more use to diving, for the minute il just stick to brancaster as its 3 miles from my house. Just purchased myself a 3 man dinghy to get out on and dive. My gun is a beuchat arka competition 75..still haven't had it in the water yet so can't say how it shoots but hopefully take it on the next trip. Got work this week so maybe have to go at the weekend.. We'll have to do a meetup in the summer, they are repairing the pier as we speak so hopefully il be giving it a try there when done!!

Last edited:
I live in london, but have family and friends who live up there so I am in Norfolk nearly every holiday I get. Brancaster has some good vis in the summer, there are also some reefs (believe it or not) around the Norfolk coast ill try and attach the pdf of them here. If you have the proper saftey equipment and a good trustworthy motor you should be able to get out to them, just watch out for strong currents! On chalk reefs the vis tends to get better too. I cant attach the pdf but I should be able to email it to you!

We'll if your up for it give me a shout when your next down and we could meet up and fish together, I know at the right time of year we get some clear water here, today wasn't to bad 50m out.. Would be interesting to know about Norfolk reefs!! I'll pm you my email, would be great to have some pdfs showing where they are..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT