• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello From Seattle, Kinda!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SeaHunter3

Mar 9, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have been a long time member of SpearBoard (not sure if there's any bad blood there ;)) but found that there a was a lack of an international community, so I decided to sign up on deeperblue because I will be moving temporarily to the Western Cape of South Africa later this year, and I would like to make some dive buddy connections if possible!

I am currently going to college in Orange County, California near Newport beach. Originally, I am from Seattle, Washington and have done 95% of my diving in the Puget Sound, Northern Pacific Coast, and Canadian Gulf Islands/San Juans, but have gotten out a couple times since moving down to SoCal and have also been spearing in the Bahamas. I'm 19, have a PFI intermediate certification, and have been spearfishing for 7 years now, only while freediving. The type of hunting we do up north is on kelp beds or hole hunting in rocky reefs for bottom fish, but I would love the opportunity to try hunting some pelagics.

I will be moving to Hermanus in early June of this year and staying until mid-August, just a little over 2 months. I will be doing a research internship with the South African Shark Conservancy, helping them with field research and data analysis, tagging and studying mostly the smaller catshark species of the Western Cape, in addition tracking the prey animals of Great Whites such as smaller cetaceans and sea lions. I am understandably super stoked about this opportunity and getting to do some awesome diving while Im down there will only sweeten the deal. The videos I have seen of the spearfishing on the Cape is other-worldly compared to what I'm used to in the Pacific Northwest.

I'm very excited to be joining this new community, and I wish you all safe diving! Cheers.

Lino

Lino, look up blue spearos on Facebook. They're a Capetown base club and awesome spearfishing community. Someone will help you.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Welcome to Deeperblue! The regional subforums are a good place to start. Of course, you are always welcome to participate in the forum discussions.

Hi Lino. You'd be very welcome to join our Cape Town based freediving WhatsApp group while you are in South Africa. We dive on both the Indian and Atlantic sides of the Cape Peninsula, the latter offering kelp forests and abundance of marine life including nurse sharks, many shy and cat sharks, gully sharks, fish, invertebrates and is best dived in Winter (June-Aug). The other side (Atlantic) is colder but clearer in Summer (Dec-Feb) and has exciting wrecks and caves/swim throughs. We don't spear fish but I can link you with folk who do. Nearer Hermanus is good diving too but am less familiar. email me on hhawkins@conservation.org and I can get you added to the group.

Reactions: BatRay
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT