• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from the Caribbean!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WhaleTail

Nov 18, 2007
Hi all!
My husband and I travel around on our 52 foot sailing sloop. We have been at it for about five years now...sailing, diving and exploring. My husband and I are both avid divers. He is a PADI masterdiver and I have the same rating but right now I am in the middle of my PADI Divemaster course. I have been skin diving recreationally for a while now. Just deep enough to get a cloer look at something on the reef! (10-20 feet/3-6 meters) My dive instructor requires that I be able to free dive to 30 feet/10 meters for my certification. I am having trouble getting that deep. The salinity content of the water is higher here (Margarita Venezuela) plus, it's a few degrees colder than most of the Caribbean. I'm positive I will be able to get to that depth, which is small fries compared to 90 percent of the people on here...but hey...you gotta start somewhere right? With all the great tips and advice on here, plus, with a little more practice, I should do okay. All of this has sparked a greater intrest in free-diving for me! I want to learn more and get better and deeper! Nice to meet everyone! Happy diving!

Hello! Welcome to DeeperBlue forums :) If you really want to overachieve, you can take the PFI courses and descend to over 100 feet. Otherwise, feel free to browse the forums and ask questions. We'd love to help :)

Welcome! For your freedives, make sure you have a nice 3 minute relaxation at the surface before you dive, equalise before and probably all the way to the bottom, and very important is stay relaxed and take your time. Kick big and slow. Train down to 40' or 50' so that the 30' dive is a piece of cake when you go to test.
If you're wearing a wetsuit, wear some weight that will help you get down. Wear enough that you just start to sink on your own at 30' if you were to stop midwater.
And most important is to enjoy the experience! As if you didn't know, travelling around the world in a boat haha ;)

Thank you very much. Yea, I think relaxation plays a big part of it as well. I have a hard time filling my lungs and I seem to spend too much energy trying to get down. Once I hit 25 feet, the contractions start and I have to surface. I will read over all the tips and apply what I can at my level and go from there. Thank you for the help!

Getting past that first 30' was tough for me. I got through that by using the anchor line of the boat I was working on, pulling my self up and down the line. You may be experiencing the stretching that happens as your lungs are collapsing... take it slow and easy!

Thank you Erik! That is a great idea..using the anchor line. Part of my problem is using too much energy to get down. Your tips have been helpful. Thank you.:) Have a great weekend
quote=Erik;680086]Getting past that first 30' was tough for me. I got through that by using the anchor line of the boat I was working on, pulling my self up and down the line. You may be experiencing the stretching that happens as your lungs are collapsing... take it slow and easy![/quote]

You live on a yacht? That's so amazingly cool. I wish I lead a life like that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT